Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Where have all the S's gone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 11:16 pm
Hi all.

As I had mentioned in the "Pet Peeve" topic, I do not understand the newly illiterate fashion of replacing S's with Z's. I first noticed this trend when the Bratz (or Slutz as I like to call them) dolls rolled into the market a few years ago. After those obnoxious dolls hit the market, I have seen several good S's replaced with Z's. Good examples of this would be Dogz, Catz, Friendz, and so on.

Where have all the S's gone?
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:40 am
Man, I don't even know if I have a good enough response for this one. My guess would be for those times the 's' has a 'z' sound and some genius thought it would be cool. Whatever the case is, it still hurts and is just bad in general; people can't spell as it is with text talk being as prevalent as it is (I once tutored a guy who was going to write his English essay in text talk and saw nothing wrong with it :/ *shakes head*), so they definitely don't need any encouragement.

And on a lighter note, your new name for those annoying Bratz dolls? Hilarious, awesome, and definitely appropriate!  

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2006 11:27 am
I knew I wasn't the only one who called those damn things Slutz. What the hell are they marketing those to seven-year-old girls for anyway?

On topic, yes I see it a lot too. I sometimes do it jokingly like if I'm talking about hacking with a friend, I might say, "I don't have those mad skillz". Generally though, I do not substitute the Z for the S.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:32 pm
Clearly what none of you were aware of was the recent and terrible loss of ground suffered in the Curvilinear/Rectilinear war.

For those of you who don't know: The Curvilinear camp wants all letters to be made up of flowing curved lines while the Rectilinear people want all letters to be made up of only straight lines. This war has been going on for some time and, recently, Rectilinear forces won a tremendous victory at the battle of Ess Wynd.

Once they had vanquished the Curvilinear forces the Rectilinear army decreed that all "S"s should be written as "Z"s in accordance with the Rectilinear doctrine. Negotiations were held to see if the Rectilinear generals could be made to agree on using the classic LED form of the letter S or even the dot matrix style; however, the Rectilinear generals proved to be unwavering in their determination to change the shape of the letter S. Some sources claim that this disinclination to compromise on the change in the shape of the letter S was because of an overwhelming number of Acute-Obtusians amongst the generals present and a lack of Rightians. The effects of this internal power struggle over the allowable angles in letters has been seen before in this war and it looks like the Rightians and the battle for right angles in letters have lost more ground today.  

[Mammon]

TheWindySea

Liberal Autobiographer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:59 am
I've noticed that too. It's insane. Why do people insist on replacing a perfectly good 'S' with a 'Z'? It's confusing. Why? :coughs: Sorry, I like the 'S' it's a spiffy letter.

On a quick side note, I was watching the news yesterday evening, and someone bought their daughter one of the new singing Bratz dolls, and apparently it swears. Yes, apparently a toy for a seven year old says the F-word. Nuts, isn't it?  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:50 pm
In a very important way, it's totally logical.

THAT'S WHAT YOU'RE ACTUALLY SAYING.

But since English has never been very fond of logic, that argument falls on deaf ears.

::shrug::

(for some words mentioned, this is not true, but for a lot of them it is.)  

The Man who was Thursday

IEditYourWorld

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:59 pm
Quote:
On a quick side note, I was watching the news yesterday evening, and someone bought their daughter one of the new singing Bratz dolls, and apparently it swears. Yes, apparently a toy for a seven year old says the F-word. Nuts, isn't it?

Oh my word! Do you know where I can find this information online or where I can find this vulgar doll? I would love to use this inforamtion some time as a reference.

Marketing for young girls has gone to the H-word.
IEditYourWorld  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:45 pm
So true. Honestly! More and more girls are becoming prostitutes. Or at least, they're dressing like it. stare Our world is spiraling into oblivion and only the intelligent people are able to see it. Pretty sad if you do the math and find that the ratio is about 3:1. 1 representing the amount of sensible people. The worst part is that most of those sensible people will probably be dead in thirty years. We're screwed. ninja burning_eyes  

Cheerfulhope

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 7:47 am
I've noticed, too. I've seen that the rate of plane crashes has gone up in the past few years, but more alarming to the end of the world is so many borderline illiterate people. Back in the 1800s even some of the stupidest people used very good grammar. Compare any written piece in the past and compare them to now. Back then they entertained themselves with sonnets, poems, and orchestras. What do we have now? Rap and Hip-Hop... Don't get mad at me if you like the music, I don't care. I'm just saying.

I'd also have to agree with calling them Slutz, and want to buy the cursing one. I thought it was funny when people replaced talking Barbie chips with that of GI Joe.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:08 pm
Quote:
I've seen that the rate of plane crashes has gone up in the past few years, but more alarming to the end of the world is so many borderline illiterate people.

I'm not sure if the rate of plane crashes has gone up or not. I do know that there have been more publicly documented reports since the 9/11 attach. Before that, you didn't see as many. If you could find some information supporting your case, that would be worth seeing!

Just a thought.
IEditYourWorld  

IEditYourWorld

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:54 pm
Yeah, maybe.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items