Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
People need to capitalize their I's. [I as in me]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Captain Purpleheart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:33 pm
When I's aren't capitalized, it justs looks strange to me. Such as:

Quote:
i am so kool i deserve donations ive only been on gaia for a few days i am new.

etc, etc.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 3:57 pm
I definitely agree with you. The "I" does look so much better capitalized and it's a shame that so many are too lazy to bother with it. However, I can still tolerate that better than "txt tlk", which I why I tend to let it slide when people don't capitalize them here.

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:47 pm
It irks me, but it's really not as serious as text talk. It's not so bad as where I want to pound the person who wrote that into a gummy goop.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:29 pm
To be honest, i've never capitalized my 'i's. It's nothing to do with grammar in my case though, it's more representative of a state of mind and a declaration of a submissive stand point. {shrugs}

i do get a lot of hassle for it though. ;p  

Cacciato

[ Pyrite ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:41 pm
Cacciato
To be honest, i've never capitalized my 'i's.

[x]
Then why are you here and who let you in?

~
Pyrite
[x]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:49 pm
[ Pyrite ]
Cacciato

[x]

~
Pyrite
[x]

Someone who realizes that such trivialities don't really matter.

Whoever it was, I applaud thee!  

The Man who was Thursday

[Mammon]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:10 pm
Cacciato
To be honest, i've never capitalized my 'i's. It's nothing to do with grammar in my case though, it's more representative of a state of mind and a declaration of a submissive stand point. {shrugs}

While I can understand that you wish to express your state of mind through your writing, Cacciato, and while I can also understand that you may wish to express your submissive tendencies by leaving your "I"s uncapitalized, the fact remains that this is the Grammar Guild. This is a Guild created for those who are interested in using correct grammar and those who are interested in improving their grammar.

So, while your refusal to capitalize "I"s may have some kind of symbolism for you, the fact remains that it is not grammatically correct and has no place here on the forums of the Grammar Guild. There are plenty of other Guilds and forums (especially the BDSM ones) that would be happy to have you type away in lower case "I"s, but, much like eating a ham sandwich in an Orthodox Synagogue, that's considered rude here and we'd appreciate it if you could try to save that particular form of expression for somewhere more appropriate.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:14 pm
Ezra Pound
[ Pyrite ]
Cacciato

[x]

~
Pyrite
[x]

[x]
Oh brother, it's a GRAMMAR guild Ezra. It's like a mac user going into a PC forum. Sure, it doesn't matter in the long run but does that make it any less stupid? I was under the impression people who type with broken and incomplete English weren't accepted.

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:28 pm
[ Pyrite ]
Ezra Pound
[ Pyrite ]
Cacciato

[x]

~
Pyrite
[x]

[x]
Oh brother, it's a GRAMMAR guild Ezra. It's like a mac user going into a PC forum. Sure, it doesn't matter in the long run but does that make it any less stupid? I was under the impression people who type with broken and incomplete English weren't accepted.

~
Pyrite
[x]

I've met quite a few people who have flawless grammar but for their refusal to capitalize; indeed, these are frequently some of the brightest people I talk to.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:52 pm
Ezra Pound
I've met quite a few people who have flawless grammar but for their refusal to capitalize; indeed, these are frequently some of the brightest people I talk to.

[x]
I never said he was stupid. I never said the way he types is stupid. I said coming into a guild made for specific cause and posting/advocating the opposite of it is stupid. It's like Mammon said in his post, look up and read it.

~
Pyrite
[x]

[ Pyrite ]

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:02 am
@ [ Pyrite ]: He's typing his words out and not using "txt tlk". Yes, I would prefer it if he capitalized his I's, but I believe in picking my battles carefully. If I start making a big deal out of every little typo or imperfection, I'll have to reprimand everyone in the guild. No one is perfect after all.

@ Cacciato: Since this is a grammar guild, we would appreciate it if you would make an effort to capitalize where it's appropriate. I won't censure you if you choose to continue your typing style, but it would make everyone more comfortable if you did. I leave it to your own conscience.

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:09 pm
I know this is a bit off topic, but have any of you noticed the trend with the "i" world in associtation with iPod? For example: iTunes, iHome, iCar, etc. As a personal oppinion, I would not want to be an i, but rather an I. Do you think that has something to do with the recent "i" trend, or am I just thinking too hard. That, or I just need to get out of electronics retail. (No offense to those who like using iPods or Apple/Macintash products. I just find it rather ironic.)

I am an I.
IEditYourWorld  

IEditYourWorld

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:10 pm
I think it is interesting that we capitalize the first-person, singular pronoun "I" in the first place. Allow me to consider the idea behind it, and pardon me here as I have never looked into any linguistic history on this matter. Was it just a matter of linguistic development? If so, why this particular pronoun when the German 'ich' (I) remains uncapitalized, as does the the French 'je', and both these languages heavily influenced English (but really, which language hasn't?), and no pronoun is capitalized in French and only the formal 'Sie' (you, formal, sing. and pl.) is capitalized in German. It seems that other languages have some sort of logic for doing things the way they do, so I am wondering if it is the same here. It seems like it is pointing to the owner of the "I" as being most important. Or is this just me being too philosphical?

Having said that, and pardon the length, I will say that it does look weird uncapitalized, and it's kind of creepy in all those recent gadgets like iPods and such. However, it could very well stand for something else, like internet, but who knows.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games