Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Learning english with the internet.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pepper_potato

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:55 pm
My first language it's not english, it's spanish. It pisses me off that some people here gaia, don't speak properly, because sometimes I get confused, or I don't understand what they're saying.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:39 pm
My first language is English and I still get upset that some people on Gaia don't use proper English for the very same reasons: I get confused and I don't understand what they are saying.

Then again, I thought I had a pretty good grasp of this here language and even still people tell me they often get confused and don't understand what I'm saying.

Oh well, guess I'll still have to keep practicing.  

[Mammon]

Caleb Hellforge

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:16 am
I'm Spanish as well. But thanks to my wonderful American influences, i've learned a lot of English.

It's true, though. More than half of the people online don't know English in an English speaking community for one reason or another. It's more than enough to piss someone off. If I took the time to learn English, I believe they can too.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:41 am
I am trying to learn Spanish....
I know that isn't really too relevant to your point.

People are too lazy to take the time to type out their thoughts or what they are trying to say. It would help though if some of us understood our "English" classes a little better, it has never been my strong point in school, but I can write at least halfway decent.  

Jewlz2007

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:35 am
People tend to forget that the Internet is an international medium. When people use bad English online, it reflects poorly on all English speakers. After all, if we don't care for the integrity of our own language, why should those who don't speak it natively bother?

Also, use of poor English can lead to misunderstandings. Something that's meant as an innocent joke in English could be mistaken by someone who doesn't know the language as an insult. That's why it's very important to tread carefully on an international medium like the Internet. I'm not supporting political correctness, just grammatical correctness, mind you.

This is a properly formatted sentence. The first letter of a sentence is ALWAYS capitalized. A sentence always ends in a punctuation mark, usually a period, but sometimes a question mark or exclamation point. Punctuation such as the comma, the colon and the semicolon are used as sentence pausers. Never should a sentence end with one of these.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:46 am
Where did chatspeak come from? I find that its degenerating our youth these days. And its the main reason they don't believe in speaking proper english. And it may be 'gangstah' influence on TV. Whatever it is, I find that if we make a message about being literate as being 'cool' we might have an edge in this playing field.  

Madryan

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:35 am
Jewlz2007
I am trying to learn Spanish....
I know that isn't really too relevant to your point.

People are too lazy to take the time to type out their thoughts or what they are trying to say. It would help though if some of us understood our "English" classes a little better, it has never been my strong point in school, but I can write at least halfway decent.

Very true, although save for the basics (e.g. how to show that your sentence is finished by using proper punctuation), I never really learned about English grammar until I started French and subsequent languages, as well as a grammar class in college, and history classes and free writing helped me to become a better writer, not my English classes.

The internet isn't a bad place to help yourself learn a foreign language, especially if you lack access to people who speak it (which is true for almost any language in the States), and it's true: it is annoying to go to some site only to find some jumbled mess dubbed text talk and chatspeak. It certainly doesn't give people a very good impression of others.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:14 am
It pisses me off how people slaughter the english language, they make their stupidity known to everyone.  

Rogue_Bandit

Arianna La Moire

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:28 pm
It's true how bad it can be. If it gets to the point that native speakers can't understand it, it's bad. I understand if they are trying to learn it. But, when it comes down to it, most people speak better English, than most native English speakers.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:38 pm
dark.hazel
It's true how bad it can be. If it gets to the point that native speakers can't understand it, it's bad. I understand if they are trying to learn it. But, when it comes down to it, most people speak better English, than most native English speakers.

Agree with you there. one of my friends on here just types in text messaging lingo, and i constantly have to ask her "what the hell did you just say?"  

Rogue_Bandit

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:26 am
Rogue_Bandit
dark.hazel

Agree with you there. one of my friends on here just types in text messaging lingo, and i constantly have to ask her "what the hell did you just say?"

That is bad. My friend recently showed me someone's writing (I forget where it was at now) and my eyes just spun. There was no way I was even going to even try to figure it out. How do they expect to communicate with anyone? Wait, I guess they don't.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:26 am
Have any of you ever seen Spanish chatspeak? Although not quite as bad, it still is bad to anyone trying to learn. Yes, I guess it would go for any language.

Sorry about the txt-tlkers. We can't control them (or can we...)  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

Exidus3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:43 pm
If we could control the txt-tlkers, that would be a blessing. However, that's just not going to happen. People have become masters at that way of speech. It's so bad, half the time I'm wondering what somebody is saying...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:38 pm
And it seems like there is NOTHING we can do on the matter. The 'txt-talkers' couldn't care less about we think. I can be understanding about people who at least are TRY to spell out the damn word, and you can tell. I have a friend who just is a bad speller, and to help her improve she mimics spellings she's seen before of the word, so 'txt-talkers' can really hurt her progress.  

Arianna La Moire

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff