Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Blanket Rawr..

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gothic Alice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:55 am
My mom has just requested of me to make her a blanket... but i don't even KNOW of knitting needles long enough to make a blanket to cover her bed sweatdrop
So I'm making a small throw blanket..
What size is the longest needle available on common market?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:35 am
I'm actually making a blanket right now, but I'm not making them on really long needles. I'm making them in squares, that I will later crochet (or sew, I haven't yet decided) together. That way, each square will be different and I can practice different stiches. XD I think that you'd best do it in pieces if you want a decent sized piece of material.
You should probably inform your mother that it will take quite a while, even if you use really fat needles. -_-; I've only begun the first square of mine a few days ago (but then again, I haven't had a whole lot of time to knit...).
Anyway, good luck! mrgreen  

Beboots

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:57 am
Gothic Alice
My mom has just requested of me to make her a blanket... but i don't even KNOW of knitting needles long enough to make a blanket to cover her bed sweatdrop
So I'm making a small throw blanket..
What size is the longest needle available on common market?

This is the perfect time for circular needles. You can get needles with super long cords; I think the longest I've seen on average needles is 42 inches long. Michaels or WalMart will probably have at least 36 inch long needles which should work since you'll be scrunching all your stitches on the cord. You knit on them just like you would regular straight needles. They just happen to be attached and let the majority of the fabric hang on the cord.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 11:11 am
Circular needles would be your friend here. They hold alot more stitches then one would think right at first, since the stitches can scrunch up. 3nodding Just a word of advice: put a stitch marker or safty pin or paper clip or something on the cord in between the edges to make it harder to miss it and turn around. 3nodding  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Gothic Alice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:50 pm
Wow guys thanks alot for the advice.. sweatdrop These things seem like something I should have already known but just.. i dunno.. was to blind to think that far outside of the box. I think the throw blanket might become a blanket to cover her whole bed now! xd  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:12 pm
Another advantage of circular needles: the weight is all on the cord in the middle, so it isn't nearly as much of a strain on your arms and wrists. wink It's all on your lap. If I ever get into making big stuff, I'm going to invest in Knit Picks options needles - a super cool interchangeable needle system, and the cords come up to 60". whee I'm heading more in the direction of really small than really big, though.  

kamiyra

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:48 pm
Gothic Alice
Wow guys thanks alot for the advice.. sweatdrop These things seem like something I should have already known but just.. i dunno.. was to blind to think that far outside of the box. I think the throw blanket might become a blanket to cover her whole bed now! xd

if you would like to make a SUPER easy blanket . . . just go and get like . . . 3 or 4 yards of two different types of fleece and make a tie blanket. It takes like . . . 2 hours at most.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:40 am
sakurachan61123
if you would like to make a SUPER easy blanket . . . just go and get like . . . 3 or 4 yards of two different types of fleece and make a tie blanket. It takes like . . . 2 hours at most.

I think the point is that her mom would like a knit blanket, and would appreciate something Alice actually took a great deal of time and care to make. If my mum asked me to knit her a blanket, I certainly wouldn't pass of a fleece blanket on her - but I would warn her it might be a couple of years before she gets it. sweatdrop  

kamiyra

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:11 am
I have been reading this thread a lot and I only just rembred.
my grandma crocheted me a blanked once, she made long crocheted strands then threaded them together like our family tartan (we were scottish way way back apparently)  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:54 am
*nodnod* circular needles are probably the way to go - and as a side benefit they will place the weight of the blanket in the middle so your hands don't hurt as much.

You can also knit smaller strips lengthwise or widthwise and sew them together after all is said and done to make a very large, striped blanket (which is what my aunt did to make a blanket)

and if you crochet, you can put a crochet edging around knit pieces to add more size  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:36 am
kamiyra
sakurachan61123

I think the point is that her mom would like a knit blanket, and would appreciate something Alice actually took a great deal of time and care to make. If my mum asked me to knit her a blanket, I certainly wouldn't pass of a fleece blanket on her - but I would warn her it might be a couple of years before she gets it. sweatdrop

That's exactly what I'm telling my dad, who wants me to make him a "really tightly knit afghan, not something lacy."
I don't have the attention span to finish it before NEXT winter. If I'm lucky.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:58 pm
storyfromthestars
kamiyra
sakurachan61123

That's exactly what I'm telling my dad, who wants me to make him a "really tightly knit afghan, not something lacy."
If you were to use speed sticks it wouldnt take that long. Use four strands of bulky yarn at a time and it wont be lacy at all!  

gemini6184

sakurachan61123

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:12 am
gemini6184
storyfromthestars
kamiyra
sakurachan61123

If you were to use speed sticks it wouldnt take that long. Use four strands of bulky yarn at a time and it wont be lacy at all!

I just made a suggestion. I didn't know that her mom for a specific kind of blanket. I thought she just asked for a blanket.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games