Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
A bed on the floor? Stupid broken frame! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

This is what I get for buying a frame used for $50.
  Can we fix it?
  Yes we can!
  (Bob the Builder is so annoying, don't you think?)
View Results

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:53 am
storyfromthestars
Silver Mist
The canopy thing with the bed on the floor is probably how my first bedroom when I move out is oging o go. I think its an awesome solution to no bed frame. An added bonus to no bed frame- theres no squeak then. I HATE squeaky bed frames- everytime you roll over in the middle of the night, your awoken by nice loud squeak. ><

Yuck. I totally agree, I hate squeaky beds. Mine doesn't squeak, but it's not a solid frame because it's a futon, so when it's set as a bed(rather than a couch) if I sit to hard the edges of the bed come off and hit the rest of the frame, which is loud.

Umm. I'd say just make a new frame. It doesn't have to be extravagent, just simple and sturdy.

My bed is still the old bunk beds my parents bought when my brother and I were little. But they went out and bought really sturdy wood framed ones that seperate into two seperate beds with head board and foot board. ^^ Not the prettiest in the world, but I love it all the same. And best of all- no squeaking!!  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:49 am
My older brothers had a bunk bed like that - it could be either 3 beds, a bunk bed, or a bed on top with either space on the bottom or the other bed facing the other way (sorta L shaped). They always had it the third way.

Now it can only make two beds, because part of one of the beds got turned into an extra-long twin for my brother. But i loved those things when i was little, you could do all kinds of stuff. heart And they smelled good.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:16 pm
have you done that thing yet where you jump then land on the bed with your knees, or (if your bed is soft enough) that thing where you flop to the side and land on your bed all at once.
you can't have a matress on the floor for too long before you try those.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:07 pm
kochi~mochi
My older brothers had a bunk bed like that - it could be either 3 beds, a bunk bed, or a bed on top with either space on the bottom or the other bed facing the other way (sorta L shaped). They always had it the third way.

Now it can only make two beds, because part of one of the beds got turned into an extra-long twin for my brother. But i loved those things when i was little, you could do all kinds of stuff. heart And they smelled good.

...........they smelled good??

My bad has almost always been onthis tiny, simple metal frame, about 3 inches off the ground. Losing my frame would hardly make any differenceto me at all, but this summer when we re-do my room, I think we're going with the MDF with Drawers options I was talkin about for storage. Though canopies are inherently fun...  

Silvander

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:28 am
Maer^ier
Assuming you don't have a hardwood floor, there's always the standby of cinderblocks and one big sheet of plywood. Although personally I think bedframes are hideous and enjoy the floor thing...

If you, or your spouse/mate/wtfyouwanttocallit [[Small conservative town and all that jazz. Family diversity naming things still don't make sense to me.]] is handy with a saw and finish, you can get some cheap wooden chairs from the goodwill or salvation army, saw off the backs and shorten the legs and prop your bed up on those. It may be a tad high though... I don't know. It might look cool. But then there's the stability issue that I of course, didn't even think about.

Alternately, if you're up for a hippy pad, Get craploads of tulle or webbed cloth in a color that matches your decor, a huge embroidery hoop, a ceiling hook, and some string, and make yourself a lovely canopy typey thing. I've seen people that had these with the bottom edges somehow attached to mattresses on the floor, and I thought it looked pretty good.

The problem with attaching a faux canopy is that the room is only 12 by 7, and there's a fairly large ceiling fan smack dab in the middle of the ceiling...  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:34 am
That could be a very dangerous problem. xp So, no canopy. You still shorten a dust ruffle and put it over the box springs and under the mattress. Then, the box springs are completely covered up. ^^  

Silver Mist

Chibi Kiku-chan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:30 pm
Sir Camm

You can always go for an Oriental/Asian look.
Get a cheap head board and decorate it yourself. Then stack tons of pillows on your bed. Use bed and pillow coverings in rich hues.
And if you like the idea, attach some rods to your ceiling and hang a sheer fabric around your bed like those canopy beds (I'm not quite sure what its called).

Love the floor. Be the floor
blaugh

I tried to make my bed be on the floor but my plan didn't work very well, but it is lower, lol  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:09 pm
Silvander

...........they smelled good??

Yes. mad d i want to say it was walnut? i dunno. But i've always liked the way they smelled.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items