Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
scrap booking

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:04 pm
I've been looking at the news paper a lot more latly than I ever have before, (I have like 6 papers at my coffee shop) and I've been cutting out random clippings of things that I think are random and fun.
I want to start my first scrap book with them, and thought I would ask yall if you know of the best glue and book's to use?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:50 pm
modge podge
I have never used it myself (hard to find in aus) but the craftster people love it

and I would say whatever kind of book you want, but my brain is telling me to tell you to get a cheep secound hand book with a cool looking cover from a charity shop and glue over the pages  

I be me
Vice Captain

Tes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:29 pm
~
I keep a scrapbook like that.
Rather A LOT of scrapbooks like that.
I was hoping that this thread wouldn't be about the goofy scrapbooks-not-photoalbums thing that was so popular there for a while, and LO! I am glad.

I use elmers white glue watered down to make it applicable with a brush and just your average spiral bound scrap book you buy at a stationary store.
I would avoid using books with a bound spine, like Ibeme suggested, because after you glue your clippings to both sides of the pages the book will become so fat it won't close anymore, effectively it will triple the size of the book without the binding getting any larger. Unless of course the image of a book that doesn't even close appeals to you (it would look pretty neat but I don't know how accessable the clippings will be to look at)

~

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:14 pm
If you're interested in keeping the clippings for many many years, find some acid free paper to attach them to. I know I've seen oooooold scrap books on e-bay and they're so brittle and hard to read because of the acid in the paper used (not that they knew any better in the early 1900's). If this is just a fun little collection meant to entertain you for now and a few years after, use whatever you catches your fancy!  

Catcheen
Crew

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:23 pm
If you want to stay away from glue due to practical considerations (time to dry, messy work, etc), they make tape squares that are acid free for photo scrapbooking. They are fairly easy to work with (they just get annoying when used in huge quantities). And remember, no matter what you do, newspaper will yellow and become brittle with age, because that paper does contain acid- large amounts, in fact, compared to other types of paper. So be carfeful now about attaching, etc and it will pay off in the long run.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:03 pm
thanks all,

I'll have to look more into the glue, as I want some thing that I don't really have to mess around with, but I think I will go to a secont hand store, or some place a little more ......not wal*mart. mrgreen
I'm going to this cute little yarn store with my boss on Saterday, so maybe I'll try and look for one that day.

all I really want to do is take the fun clips I find, nothing really important, just things that have some thing to do with my life and how I live it. 3nodding  

Lee Kushrenada

VP Club Freakin Justice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:37 pm
I be me
but my brain is telling me to tell you to get a cheep secound hand book with a cool looking cover from a charity shop and glue over the pages

That's a really neat idea. I hadn't thought of that before. For one of my classes this semester I have to take pictures everyday for the next 60 days and then m ake an album from them. I think I might use that idea for the album.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:52 pm
VP Club Freakin Justice
I be me
but my brain is telling me to tell you to get a cheep secound hand book with a cool looking cover from a charity shop and glue over the pages

That's a really neat idea. I hadn't thought of that before. For one of my classes this semester I have to take pictures everyday for the next 60 days and then m ake an album from them. I think I might use that idea for the album.
what tes says is true though, it will get REALLY thick, especially if you are sticking photos in
but I think you could just rip out two thrids the pages (since what you are sticking is is so much thicker than the pages you are taking out)  

I be me
Vice Captain

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:22 am
If you carefully use an exacto, it will go much better than tearing. Your less liking ot damage the binding that way. Book binding is also very simple, if youd like instructions on it. Then, all you'd need are about $20 worths of things and you could make a book after attaching the photos that is uniquely yours. ^^  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:23 am
alan and barry's snot dots for the glue
go to craft fairy for your scap book heart  

abiric

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:29 pm
Silver Mist
If you carefully use an exacto, it will go much better than tearing. Your less liking ot damage the binding that way. Book binding is also very simple, if youd like instructions on it. Then, all you'd need are about $20 worths of things and you could make a book after attaching the photos that is uniquely yours. ^^
I say tearing but I had a mental immage of using a knife

and made a book by getting a book cover I like the look of then binding all the pages that go inside it.
all I needed was printer paper for the pages, a nail and hammer to make the holes, and a big needle and really strong thread to bind the pages together.

I am sure you could search craftster or google to find a tutorial.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:55 pm
on another post that asked for names of favorite books, I just posted my scrapbooking favorite resources. There are step-by-step instructions in most scrapbook references, but I suggest that you get a book and follow it called Great Scrapbooks, Ideas, Tips, and Techniques by memory Makers---Gerbrandt with Durant. Not only are the ideas good, but it lists great materials.  

rosesylace

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff