Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Literature
Grammar Mistakes In Books Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

It ruins a perfectly good book.
  Yes, it does.
  No, it doesn't.
  Sometimes it does.
View Results

Kali Eyad

Ruthless Ladykiller

9,650 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:16 pm
Grammar mistakes I can usually over look, since many of them are minor or could possibly be attributed to character/narrator speech patterns. It's spelling error and missing words that really bother me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:07 pm
Has anyone had pages missing or the pages put in upside down? I was reading a book for a class one time and about 15 pages in the middle were just missing! I had to use another copy of the book that I (fortunately!) had but the other copy didn't have the footnotes that the first one did, so I didn't understand what the French character was saying for the next 15 pages! That was annoying.  

Annikaya

Guttergoo

Fashionable Gawker

8,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:48 pm
- -
- -

Yeh, it does get annoying. xx; I found at least three errors in Pet Sematary by Stephen King, but I can't remember what any of them were. Oh, and in Cujo, one of the characters' eyes go from being brown on one page, to blue on the next.. oO;

- -
- -

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:19 pm
I honestly find it annoying, rather than infuriating, that publishers can't take the time to look over an author's work. Honestly, whatever happened to proof-reading?

I've found so many spelling errors in Stephen King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes, it's ridiculous.

Grammar does bug me as well, but not as much as spelling, since spelling is pretty damn basic and easy to fix.  

Cheerfulhope

xXgoth_girl12Xx

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:09 am
Ive read Artemis Fowl, Twilight, and Redwall, and I hate it when I'll be in the middle of a perfectly good chapter, sometimes with a fight going on, and it will be ruined by illiteracy. It makes me mad, but I like to keep my books in mint condition, so I don't do anything, but I make a mental note.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:58 pm
Annoying: Yes.
Book-ruining: If the book is that easily ruined, I see no point in continuing to devote time and brain space to reading it through.

Oh, and (LD)Croaks? Yeah, so I read your rants, and the general feeling I got from them was "Who made you God?" To whit, my rebuttal must therefore be:

"Pardon? Am I God, then? Oh, I'm so sorry, no one told me. Well, in that case, I see my way clear to INCINERATING YOUR ANNOYING A**."

Viva me, the new God!  

Nicholas Kaze

Friendly Prophet

16,625 Points
  • Expert Skill 150
  • Gaian 50
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Giraffe Neck

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:22 pm
I don't mind grammar mistakes in dialogue. I think it makes it more believable because hardly anyone speaks perfect English. I was reading a book recently, in fact, in which one of the characters spoke almost flawless English. It felt too unnatural.

But if I find obvious typos, I get turned off. I found a few errors in a copy of The Adventures of Augie March and it really bothered me. When I find errors, I always correct them (I'm a writing tutor, so it's habit. :p).  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 pm
On the cover of the school's edition of To Kill a Mockingbird, there was a typo. It said "Ina" insead of "In a".  

egginaframe

Vyear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:30 pm
I think grammar mistakes in published books don't actually ruin anything for me. In fact, it's one of my past times to try and spot them (yes, I'm nerdy like that razz ). I actually find it more amusing than anything else. It's just the feeling of going, "Aha! Found one!" and realizing that even the "professionals" make mistakes. Kinda gives me hope for myself XD I screw up so many words on my homework and projects it's not even funny. Half the reason I try so hard to write everything out correctly online is to practice for real life.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:32 am
Has anyone ever read the book Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo? I have the feeling that if anyone from this topic/forum were to ever pick up the book and flip through a few pages, their head would explode. (except for that person who went on that rant, mister (LD)Croaks)
I agree with Vyear, if I find a mistake I silently congratulate myself then continue. If I have a pen on me I'll correct the mistake, but I won't go out of my way to grab a pen. And the small things do NOT ruin the book.  

Avi1313

Aged Codger

2,900 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Person of Interest 200

Critical Cookies

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:22 am
I found examples of mistakes!

Point Blank
She sat on the opposite.

The opposite what?
Point Blank
"Point Blanc"

I thought it was called Point Blank, not Point Blanc..

Yeah, it was in the book I was reading..  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:05 am
Terry Prattchet's books often have little gramatical errors. Usually no more than a misplaced coma or two. I've been told it's because he refuses to have an editor.
It irritates me but for the most part I can ignore it, because I do like his work.

Now what's annoying me most at the moment is Salvatore's overuse of exclamation marks.
Who agrees that excalamtion marks should not be used in novels unless it's within speech marks or the entire narrative is set in first person?

Ithaya

Literature

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces