Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Can we trust these people?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:55 am
Lanzer misspelled collectible all over his announcement...

http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21936653&

There is no such word as collectable.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:32 am
I've come across several misspellings on Gaia. It does give one pause, does it not?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:37 am
This whole time I thought it was spelled "collectable." That will help me. Thank you.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:50 am
Lanzer et al. always make errors like that.

c.f. Gaia Online.  

The Man who was Thursday

Kurshami

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 12:58 pm
That is pretty funny, actually.

Thanks be to god for giving us the hardest language on Earth. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:20 pm
Funny, I always thought Japanese or one of those other languages that use symbols was the hardest language on earth...

But I've come across spelling errors and typos even in my favorite novels. For just being a web site like this, I'm hardly surprised at the typos and misspellings, especially with something like "collectible" that sounds like "collectable".  

Angel80272

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:00 pm
No...English is the hardest language believe it or not. It is because it is a hodgepodge. If you speak a Latin base (French, Italian, Spanish) you can understand bits and pieces especially Italian and Spanish (formal from Spain that is). English has many different words from different languages and strange rules when it comes to tenses and verb usage.

Collectible is spelled right on the banner at least...  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:07 pm
My Russian-native German teacher who also speaks Italian (and English, obviously, since she was teaching an American class) and was learning Arabic and Japanese said English was the easiest language for her to learn.

I've also read about numerous other people saying English is VERY easy to learn. Yes, it's a "hodge-podge" as you say, but that makes it easier, not harder. The English grammar is VERY lax, and there are so many words that mean the same things that you can pretty much say what you want to say fairly easily.  

The Man who was Thursday

Feyda

Beloved Trader

6,700 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Friendly 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:18 pm
I looked that up on Webster's Dictionary, and it said "collectable" is a variant of "collectible".
o.O
I always spell it with the "a", but who knows...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:51 pm
I guess collectible is becoming like 'color' and 'colour' and all those other American-British variations.

My Advanced French teacher says that between one of the romance languages and English, English is harder. Since I'm anglophone I beg to differ with that.

Out of curiosity I asked my mom and she said the same thing but not because of spelling and grammatical rules. She said that as a language, English is harder to master to make it, for lack of better words "flow beautifully," or to attain "poetic excellence." -shrugs- Her words, not mine.  

xAvenirYuinax

Niccea Majeare

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:54 pm
I actually didn't know the difference. I use fire fox and it has an automatic spell checker as I type. But I also noticed that Lanzer and the banner spelled it two different ways before hand.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:42 pm
Oh yes, fire fox's spell check is my favorite feature of the browser.

The English language is so troublesome to others trying to learn it because of all our lovely variations of other language's words. Like Niccea said, there are so many strange, nonsensical rules to it.
And the slang is just becoming atrocious now. The literacy of many Gaia members is quite low, and instant messaging/laziness has caused an...array...of words that are plainly ludicrous.
So I really don't put a literacy guard up while on Gaia, since the majority of members I come across (sadly) are "writg like this and DONT use muc hard words. lol. made mistkae."

But one way you can tell English is a hard language to nail is how SO many people who speak it as their main language make constant grammar mistakes. But personally, I love grammar; Maybe a bit too much...  

xMarvelx

Katurrah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:58 pm
English, while being a rather easy language to learn, is one of the hardest to learn how to write. That's one of the reasons that I insist upon good grammar and spelling. If a foreign person learns 'txt tlk' mainly, imagine how much trouble that person will have attempting to gain employment or even filling out medical forms.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:57 pm
It's true. English is a lot harder to read and write rather than speaking. It's because most languages just have simple rules that apply to everything. We have a lot of exceptions and things that throw some people off. For example: mule, raid, hate, fleet.  

Cheerfulhope

splashseal

Fluffy Bunny

19,225 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Gifting Gone Wild 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 5:47 am
The difficult part of English is making it sound flowly, as xAvenirYuinax mentioned, was making it "flow beautifully", at least in modern times (o how I envy Shakespeare, etc.). I don't think there is one negative aspect of English, such as weird spelling, that cannot be attributed to at least one other language. And at least our auxilliary/helping verbs stick with the main verbs, as well as our sentences remaining in SVO order for the most part. Ever try German?  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games