3,500 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:27 pm
GilAskan
Blue Jewel
GilAskan
Whether or not you're a goth depends on what you think a goth is, as others have said.

To many (older Goths in particular), a goth is an avid fan of goth-rock.

To many (younger Goths, usually), goth is "a state of mind" or a perspective.

To me? A goth is a member of the culture which revolves around goth-rock.
A couple things I want to ask you.

One, what exactly is goth rock? Music is Music, and as someone else said earlier, labels don't really matter.

Two, I could totally reverse what you said. I come from a very "Gothic" environment. I live in a Gothic house, and I was raised around a lot of different things. To every goth I know, a goth is someone with a certain "state of mind" whereas the poser goth who just dress a certain way to rebel against their parents, and listen to "Gothic rock" for the same reason.

Hell, my grandmother and great grandmother remember the emergence of the Gothic culture, and all the Gothic subcultures into popular society, and were "active members" before hand.

So what now? (that's not a smart tone, that's a curious tone)

First, I started off my post with a comment about "You are goth depending on what you think goth is" for a good reason. There is no solid definition of goth. You could ask 100 different Goths, and you could get 100 different answers back.

In saying this, I want to establish that my comments on the goth culture are my opinions, and I do not solicit them as fact. However, I should also say that any information I mention which can be proved is factual. Goth-rock is a real genre of music, the bands I list are equally as real.

My Post in the Music Subforum
The long post that he quoted of himself, that you can easily read by looking above.

*ahem*

To answer your second question... I again say that I will not refute your opinion of goth as being correct. It is equally possible as being true. And I certainly agree with you in saying that there are MANY posers (or people who simply are just going through a phase) who dress in goth styles (there really are several dozen fashion styles in the goth culture) as a way to rebel, or a way to seem unique (though, any rebellious teenager along this line WOULD NOT listen to goth-rock, but rather, usually, metal and shock-rock artists such as Marilyn Manson).

My personal problem (though, again, I do not say the opinion is wrong, I am just stating why I myself do not proscribe to the opinion) with the "Goth is a state of mind" statement is it has no grounds to stand on. Any one of these said posers could very well say "I'm a goth because I think I am, and you can't prove me wrong". You can neither prove nor disprove someone's legitimacy in the goth culture.

I hope I was able to clear up some confusion. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
First off, I want to apologize for my spelling mistakes earlier. I had just woken up. xD

Anyways, I never once said your opinions were wrong, I merely questioned why you had them, and pointed out from my point of view, you were a little backwards.

Something that I was kinda trying to ask, but I apparently couldn't, was that what of the Gothic styles that came before the "Gothic-Rock" genre? (That's why I had brought up my grandmother and great grandmother living through the blossoming of Gothic styles in popular culture.)

As for the mindset, with a few simple questions you can discern the posers, and the real Goths. A poser won't know why he does something, or will only do it because it's cool. The mindset will do a variety of things, never being pinned down to one specific field, and will do it because they like it, not really caring what others think.

As for the fashions, there's so many Gothic sub-cultures, I lost track of them all, so I'm not going to touch on that.

For the record, I never meant no argument. I was just trying to get a peek into your mind.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:44 pm
GilAskan

Something that I was kinda trying to ask, but I apparently couldn't, was that what of the Gothic styles that came before the "Gothic-Rock" genre? (That's why I had brought up my grandmother and great grandmother living through the blossoming of Gothic styles in popular culture.)

As for the mindset, with a few simple questions you can discern the posers, and the real Goths. A poser won't know why he does something, or will only do it because it's cool. The mindset will do a variety of things, never being pinned down to one specific field, and will do it because they like it, not really caring what others think.

As for the fashions, there's so many Gothic sub-cultures, I lost track of them all, so I'm not going to touch on that.

For the record, I never meant no argument. I was just trying to get a peek into your mind.

There are many types of trends and mucis genras that started off this whole goth trend and it wasnt seen till later as that either, such as when rock came out in the first place in the 1960's and 70's. The music was a way for public to see and hear free expression, which also brought ppl to understand the darker meanings of life, not to mention it brought society down hill with the drugs, but that's another story entierly. And with that inmind musicians and artist brought looks and ideas onto society, which we still have going on now. Also the concept of gothics being dark as they are really doesnt mean anything. they took the term from history, iin which there was a society of ppl known as gothics, but were merly ppl of different perspective. thats how the gothic society we see in our time is today, though the steryotype of darkness and evil did go overboard from what the ppl of that time were like back then. they were merly just ppl, normal ppl.  

Redwing~Shadow

Spooky Wasabi Princess

Proxy Risk-Taker

14,850 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Magical Girl 50
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:34 pm
I never thought anything about you ever.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:17 pm
crying -Is crying from joy- Thanks...  

Mage The Red

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100

Faren_of_FaelThas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:47 pm
well this thread turned into some other different creature sweatdrop

well i'd like to say that why should goths just be limited to people who listen to goth-rock? if you ask me every band i've ever heard doesn't sound exactly like another. they may scream, roar, whisper, croon, (and then actually sing) with heavy mind blowing beats or gentle caressing rhthyms, and yet they are still rock. certain bands/artists may sound a great deal like a couple other bands so people naturally group them together under a name.

but the thing is that every band is different. 3nodding

so if you listen to one band and can't tell what type of rock they are because they sound kinda like this but a little bit like that you basically have to make another subcategory of rock, which is one of the reasons why there is so many different types of rock out there now mrgreen

so this begs the question: if rock made punk, and punk made goth, do you really have to listen to goth-rock to be a goth? i don't think so, you just have to listen to rock in general. i mean if you have a complete set of rules to what goth-rock is and is not then i think only one (maybe two) bands could really adhere to it. and if you let loose some of the restrictions to what really is goth-rock you could end up with most of the bands that ever were made. sweatdrop

so in the end being Goth is an opinion, not really a mindset or just someone who listens to goth-rock (and to classify a band as Goth-rock is a matter of opinion as well).

and as many other people said, why does it really matter? just do what you like to do 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:20 am
I agree completely with Faren. Also, everyone is right in their own way... sometimes.  

Mage The Red

Bloodthirsty Demon

24,750 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Winged 100
  • Noble Shade 100
~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers