Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Comas in Sentences

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

cutebunny3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:20 am
I am confused.

In one grade I learned that you always put a coma before the word and.
The next year, I put comas before every and because that's what I was taught. My teacher then informed me that you never put a coma before the word and. The next year the teacher said that you only put a coma where there is a natural pause when you're reading it.

So, what have you been taught? I want to know which is correct.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:40 am
Normally I'm not one to critique spelling errors and whatnot, but if you read this as typed, it's hilarious. You're just talking, and suddenly you force yourself into a coma for like 5 years somehow.

::shrug:: Should be comma, for future reference.

Anyways, you use a comma if (not iff) you're separating two independent clauses with a coordinating conjunction.

E.g.: I shot Jack, and Jack died. < "I shot Jack" and "Jack died" are two whole clauses.
I shot Jack and Mindy. < "Jack and Mindy" is a list of people you shot, so no comma.

The part where it might get a bit tricky is lists of more than two elements. The rules here say "you can do whatever!" I prefer keeping a comma.

i.e. "Jack's brother, sister, and father mourned his death." = OK!
"Mindy's aunt, cat and half-cousin twice removed didn't give a damn." = OK as well!  

The Man who was Thursday

Masamune no Hi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:45 pm
It was a simple mistake, but that was pretty funny. Don't take it personally, it was a joke. I think.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:13 pm
Before the word? That's weird. I don't think I've ever done that much... depends on the sentence.  

The Shoe Pile

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:43 pm
burning_light
Before the word? That's weird. I don't think I've ever done that much... depends on the sentence.

I made a thread listing the uses of a comma. Check it out.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games