Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Adults using txt tlk? NO WAY! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zealot of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:57 pm
We don't use text messaging in our family, because it costs us money. We are truly thrifty, like many asian families. Heck, if we haven't insisted, we wouldn't have any cell phones in the first place.

("We" refers to my brothers and I)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:42 pm
When I first discovered text messaging I managed to give myself something of a blister on my thumb after pain-stakingly pressing a tiny keypad to spell out every single word as I'd typically speak. What managed to drive me to fits of anger was the phone not capitalizing the first letter of the message by default. Instead, it forced me to sort through three screens of options to manage token english.  

Faentriel

Kalesia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:31 am
My parents and older family members use 'txt tlk' when they text me. My dad is a teacher and his grammar is good but he'd still rather save himself a few seconds. I don't text people back complaining about it or anything since it obviously doesn't bother them and it shouldn't bother me.

I always used to point out corrections to people but now I only worry about my own grammar!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:01 pm
I am not exactly a "Anti-TXT-TLK" Nazi, but I would have to agree. I was at my dad's workplace one day and I read a bit of what the workers were instant messaging to each other. They were talking about some very important matters (as far as I could tell, anyway) and they didn't even bother to spell out words like "to!" That is not in any way professional!

However, as long as it is at a minimum, I couldn't care less. Even I use the occasional "lol" when deemed appropriate.  

Harmonic_Soul

-HelloHearts-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:49 pm
tiger80272
Perhaps they are tired of trying to be proper and want to see what it's like to be "cool" like the rest of the kids are doing. I honestly see no point to it.

I agree. Maybe they just want to be cool and awesome like all the others.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:32 pm
my boyfriend's mother uses text talk, it drives me mad!! i can't understand a single word she's texting! i'll have to call her back and ask what she ment, my friends at college think it's cool for her to do it...thats probably because they can read it! lol  

Jennnngo

The One and Only Guardian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:23 pm
Now that's just not right! D:
I always try to use good grammar, but the only times I don't are when I am fighting monsters in a video games (while talking to people online), or when I'm unsure about an English rule. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:29 pm
Jennnngo
my boyfriend's mother uses text talk, it drives me mad!! i can't understand a single word she's texting! i'll have to call her back and ask what she ment, my friends at college think it's cool for her to do it...thats probably because they can read it! lol

Haha! I'm used to all of my best friends using "txt tlk" when I'm talking to them. Sometimes they come up with new junk that just confuses me! @.@ For example, "ily <3". That drove me up the walls from not knowing what it meant! D: Then I figured out that it means "i love you <3", but I think they could at least capitalize the "i's".. stare  

The One and Only Guardian

Demokritos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:55 am
I find it no surprise that most adults have given to text talk or shorthand online. Since that's what the majority of chatters, forum goers, and other people do, they simply respond by doing it themselves. It's not just them being stupid, it's just either being lazy or trying to fit in.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff