Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Commas are NOT for pauses. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oracle Of Delphi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:11 pm
I agree with the overuse of commas and admit to being one who must edit her writing for that particular problem. Also, I would like to point out that semicolons should only be used to separate separate, complete thoughts, not clauses. You cannot put a semicolon only for an emphasized pause; the semicolon must be inserted between two grammatically complete parts as I just did here. My honors english teachers were always ranting about semicolon abuse. "It is not an exaggerated comma!" they say. If it is not a complete sentence behind your semicolon, don't put it there. If you are going to list things behind it, use a full colon.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:42 pm
Ezra Pound
limp d**k
Syntax?

The only definition I learned for syntax was the job of a designated word. (e.g. predicate nominitive for a noun that is a complement that restates the subject or direct object for a noun that is recieving the action)

Uh.. nope.

Quote:
a. the study of the rules for the formation of grammatical sentences in a language.
b. the study of the patterns of formation of sentences and phrases from words.
c. the rules or patterns so studied: English syntax.
d. a presentation of these: a syntax of English.
e. an instance of these: the syntax of a sentence.

Ahh. I see.
I haven't learned that yet.
Perhaps I should brush up on my grammar.  

limp dick

Captain No

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:54 pm
When I look at lyrics for songs, the people who submitted those lyrics put a comma when there is a pause in the song itself. That's incorrect, right?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:26 pm
Triste
Commas are overused.
Quite the contrary; I find that most people seem to be afraid of using the comma.

The comma has a great deal of uses. Since this guild is partly about "Olde English," I'd point out that the primary historical use for a comma is to indicate a pause. Also, in general, if you put a comma where you would pause when reading aloud, it's usually grammatically correct.

And yes, I do put commas where I would pause. Dear god, I'm a heretic. rolleyes

Sorry, I feel strongly about commas.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Natilly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:36 pm
Don't commas connect only certain words? The words: or, for, nor, and, so, but, and yet.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:36 pm
DarkElf27
Triste
Commas are overused.
Quite the contrary; I find that most people seem to be afraid of using the comma.

The comma has a great deal of uses. Since this guild is partly about "Olde English," I'd point out that the primary historical use for a comma is to indicate a pause. Also, in general, if you put a comma where you would pause when reading aloud, it's usually grammatically correct.

Generally, I would agree with this. We as literate people know the appropriate time to pause within a sentence. Many people, however, want to insert a pause everywhere. But yes, for most of us here inserting a comma at a natural pause would be correct. Again, it is a problem of people trying to put in too many commas.

And as for the lyrics, the commas are because songs are not the same as a sentence. The syntax is not always completed as it is basically poetry. Also, because of the tune it is not always immediately obvious just reading lyrics where the pause in the end of a line or tune is, thus the author inserts commas to alert readers to a musical pause.  

Oracle Of Delphi

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:13 pm
Oracle Of Delphi
Also, I would like to point out that semicolons should only be used to separate separate, complete thoughts, not clauses.

You just contradicted yourself. A clause is a complete thought. A semicolon separates two independent clauses.

DarkElf27
Triste
Commas are overused.

Oh, for the love of God.

OLD ENGLISH IS NOT "OLDE ENGLISH". Old English = Anglo-Saxon. OE and Modern English have HARDLY ANYTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER. Some common verbs have lasted, but not much.

And this guild largely supports the grammar that is presently considered "proper" by prescriptive grammarians. In this grammar, commas are used as I have listed in my first post. How you say something has s**t to do with how it's written.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff