Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I'm sick and tired of... Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Please answer before you read this. Answer this seriously. Are you Shakespeare's modern day reincarnation?
  Yes
  No
View Results

Luxx Aeternam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:38 pm
I honestly don't think I've heard anyone say "y'all" or "ain't" in years. I'm sure there are still people who say them, but I haven't met any of them recently.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:41 pm
Actually, I was once informed that "ain't" is a contraction of "am not", "are not", "is not", and such.

Then again, I can't always trust my sources of information.

I don't find a problem with "ain't" at all.
I use it in my speech quite often, to be frank.

limp dick

Subservient Nonentity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:20 pm
finalefanatic
Why does everyone here b***h about how other people use words. I understand complaining about text talk and elite speak, but words such as 'ain't' and 'y'all'? Seriously, you need to get over yourself. I guarantee that no none of you are actually Shakespeare's reincarnation. And just so you know, I'm an English teacher.

Also, the first sentence is written to be a question, not a statement.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:24 pm
I'm not sure if anybody else has a dictionary like I used to (sorry I forget the name of it! D smile . It actually said that 'ain't' is a word! O:  

The One and Only Guardian

Cintax Error

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:34 pm
You're 19 and already an English teacher? Judging by what you just stated, you're no better than anyone here.

There is a magical thing called an opinion. If I don't like another person saying a certain word, then I'll say what is on my mind, but keeping it in defeats the purpose of talking to someone. It's improper to talk to someone when you have nothing to say. You're also contradicting yourself when you say that people bother you when they bash other people, or the way they type or speak, by saying that we 'b***h about how other people use words'. If you think we're all bitchy psychos, then simply leave the guild. We joined this guild to talk about these sorts of things. So I'll restate something for you. =D

Deal with it or leave.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:35 pm
Well, this is, after all, a grammar guild. This isn't just an 'anti-txt talk' guild, but a guild where you not only should use real words, but use them the right way.  

FlyinHandheld

Fuujin-chan

Sparkly Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:48 pm
I just type like I talk. I go "y'know?" a lot in person, but that's just my weird little catchphrase. Even though I hate when people say "lol u r 2 funny", I often use sentences like that to poke fun at how lazy people are online these days. I have a bizarre sense of humour.

Besides, sometimes I use words like "Ain't" and "y'all" because I grew up in a place where words like that are often used. Its just kind of a habit.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:00 pm
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]
I just type like I talk. I go "y'know?" a lot in person, but that's just my weird little catchphrase. Even though I hate when people say "lol u r 2 funny", I often use sentences like that to poke fun at how lazy people are online these days. I have a bizarre sense of humour.

Besides, sometimes I use words like "Ain't" and "y'all" because I grew up in a place where words like that are often used. Its just kind of a habit.

Hehe, I like your sense of humor! cool  

Fuujin-chan

Sparkly Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:09 pm
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]

Hehe, thanks. My friend said she liked it today, actually. xd I say really weird, random things that make my friends start cracking up.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:11 pm
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]

Hehe, thanks. My friend said she liked it today, actually. xd I say really weird, random things that make my friends start cracking up.

Oh yes. I love those times! I can't stand it when people say things so randomly, they obviously planned to be "random", or when they try to hard to make people laugh. I just say random things by accident sometimes. xD  

homsar36

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:11 pm
finalefanatic
Why does everyone here b***h about how other people use words. I understand complaining about text talk and elite speak, but words such as 'ain't' and 'y'all'? Seriously, you need to get over yourself. I guarantee that no of you are actually Shakespeare's reincarnation. And just so you know, I'm an English teacher.

What does "Shakespeare's reincarnation" have to do with using slang? It doesn't really make sense to me...  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:15 pm
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]

Oh yes. I love those times! I can't stand it when people say things so randomly, they obviously planned to be "random", or when they try to hard to make people laugh. I just say random things by accident sometimes. xD

Actually, the random things I say are...really random. o___o;
but sometimes I plan them. I don't get my friends' attentions much. (guh...do I add that "s" after attention? or is it alright without it?) Anyway. XD; I get in trouble sometimes because i'm REALLY not supposed to be laughing and quoting weird movies you guys have never heard of. XD  

Fuujin-chan

Sparkly Gekko

8,000 Points
  • Team Moira 200
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Married 100

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:17 pm
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]
[ ~ Fuujin ~ ]

Actually, the random things I say are...really random. o___o;
but sometimes I plan them. I don't get my friends' attentions much. (guh...do I add that "s" after attention? or is it alright without it?) Anyway. XD; I get in trouble sometimes because i'm REALLY not supposed to be laughing and quoting weird movies you guys have never heard of. XD

((It's fine without the 's'. wink ))
Well, I'm sure it's not obvious when you plan them, but some people just...err...are horrible at being random. xD At least you make people laugh, unlike people in my class where other just go 'WTH?!?!'. xDD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:09 pm
finalefanatic
Why does everyone here b***h about how other people use words. I understand complaining about text talk and elite speak, but words such as 'ain't' and 'y'all'? Seriously, you need to get over yourself. I guarantee that no of you are actually Shakespeare's reincarnation. And just so you know, I'm an English teacher.

You sure do have some pitiful grammar for a supposed English teacher...

I don't have a problem with "Ain't" and "Y'all", as those, to an extent, make sense in SOME situations. Not all. Some people do need to get over themselves, I agree, but I am also tired of people claiming to be English teachers who either are not, or should not be.  

Clearly Opaque

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces