Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
Text talk in school papers.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kait Yslanaa

Dangerous Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:54 pm
This is where education has reached a true low. I cannot tell you how many times I have literally twitched at people's school papers. Examples (just saying what people have put, no real examples on hand):

b/c- instead of because.

lol- Teacher saw this in a piece that makes your graduation hang in the balance.

w/e- For whatever.

Now for spelling errors:

now- Such as, "I now [know] what I have to do."

cuz- Again, used instead of because

There are probably other errors, and I will have to find them from friends. The worst thing is that the teachers don't really get them on it. The school I go to (highschool senior thank the heavens), and I have seen teacher's editing, and I'm like, "Are they stupid?" I believe I catch more mistakes than some teachers around here.

Also, how does one get to become a teacher writing backward f's?

[If there are mistakes, like two words put together, my space bar is dying on me...Sorry.]  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:02 pm
When I am on AIM, when people have to leave, they say "g2g" instead of got to go  

Radio Chaos

Kait Yslanaa

Dangerous Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:09 pm
There are only a few text words I can stand and have used on occasion.
ROFL, OMG and OMFG. But when I first started on AIM a long time ago, I read some people's IM's and I was lost because I had no bloody idea what any one was talking about. I had to ask them and they would spell things wrong then.

I have a habit of checking everything I write very well because I don't have spell check on Microsoft Word. The only thing I have is WordPad.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:37 pm
That's horrible,
i thought teachers were good at spelling.  

GlamxShock

Archdemonessa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:45 pm
So sad... so very sad...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:52 pm
Most of my teachers use txt tlk for notes to make them shorter. I'm fine with that.  

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

Kait Yslanaa

Dangerous Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:10 pm
Yes but this teacher made itthrough college with backwards f's.. And she also said I had made mistakes when I know I didn't...  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:25 pm
I believe that backwards 'f's, when written in a certain style, are just an archaic script.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Tarantellatears

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:47 am
I use 'b/c' and 'w/' in rough drafts, because it save me space, but I'd never put that in anything close to a professional paper. O_O  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:09 pm
Thank god, I have a tough English teacher... I was one of the few A's on my research paper because I actually bothered to write out my words. Now, if you are IMing, or playing an action game online (where you'll die if you take too long to type), then it MIGHT be okay, but it should never be acceptable in schools.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

raucous rae

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:19 am
Uhm.
Wow, that's just a little bit ridiculous...

My teacher from last year put me in the sped english class and I don't think that's even acceptable there...

But to piss off the teachers when writing a journal or whatever, I tend to say things like, "I dunno. I have no opinion. I mean, like, I GUESS if I had the situation I would care. But, like, I don't right now."

And such. >>;

As if I were speaking.

*says 'like' too much*

Yeah....>>;  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out