Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

WitchyBoy

2,100 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:38 am
I think that to be goth you dont really have to care whether or not you are goth.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:10 am
I've always found that debate a bit annoying too. Especially that whole, "I'm darker than you, so that makes you a poser," bull s**t. If anything that makes the other person look poser-ish. The true fakes are the ones who try too hard. It's like that with anything, really. If you're just doing something to impress people you start to forget what you really like, and how you really feel.

As for what Goth really is, I don't think it should really matter. It's too broad a spectrum to for anyone to really get it "right." If you enjoy the scene then fine. (please don't hurt me for using the "scene" word. lol ) It shouldn't have to be a race to see who's darker than the other. (In fact that can be a bit dangerous.) As long as you're truely happy with how you're living your life.  

TheWitchGotRobin

Maggoty Anne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:07 am
a lot of my goth freinds have a gother than thou air. i just don't care.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:52 am
Maggoty Anne
a lot of my goth freinds have a gother than thou air. i just don't care.

Even if you don't care now, be careful... it might get extremely annoying later. gonk (Unless they're just joking, in which case, it's a tad better)  

-Resurrected Writer-
Crew

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:30 pm
Soda Ex Machina
Word of advice?
You're not missing anything without giant stompy boots of doom. Besides, if you wear them in the summer they make your legs all sweaty and icky anyway.

And your school people seem ickily unintelligent. gonk

Very true, I have a pair and I hardly wear them. They are the cutest thing but they make that leather noise when I walk... and its annoying...  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:32 pm
britaki
. If you're just doing something to impress people you start to forget what you really like, and how you really feel.

It shouldn't have to be a race to see who's darker than the other. (In fact that can be a bit dangerous.) As long as you're truely happy with how you're living your life.

Two really good points. One shouldn't have to try to fit in with their "friends" they just should, or be accepted for who and how they are.  

DarkPrincesa

Ms Dahl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:21 am
GilAskan
I find that goths tend to be fairly intelligent people, and understanding their own existence is part of that scholarly curiosity. I think "goth" is so commonly debated amongst goths because no one has really able to nail down a satisfying answer to the question.

I myself consider goths to be avid fans of goth-rock (and related genres) and a member of the goth culture.

In that goth is a matter of being a fan, I don't think you can be any more or less a goth. If you're part of the culture, you're a goth. If you aren't, then you aren't. You can't be more or less part of it. You simply are or are not.

The problem comes when people try and describe "what does it mean to be apart of the subculture?". Some say participating in the subculture is listening to the music and some say you have to be a regular at a local goth club. The truth is, describing what it means to participate in the goth subculture is just as hard as describeing "what is goth?".  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:30 am
britaki
I've always found that debate a bit annoying too. Especially that whole, "I'm darker than you, so that makes you a poser," bull s**t. If anything that makes the other person look poser-ish. The true fakes are the ones who try too hard. It's like that with anything, really. If you're just doing something to impress people you start to forget what you really like, and how you really feel.

As for what Goth really is, I don't think it should really matter. It's too broad a spectrum to for anyone to really get it "right." If you enjoy the scene then fine. (please don't hurt me for using the "scene" word. lol ) It shouldn't have to be a race to see who's darker than the other. (In fact that can be a bit dangerous.) As long as you're truely happy with how you're living your life.

Exactly! I can't tell you how many goth "scenesters" I've met. They're absolutely ridiculous! Everything they do/say looks as if they memorized a "How to be Uber" manual. To me those are the poseurs. Even if you are an expert on goth music you can still be a poseur. If you use your taste in music (or aesthetics) to appear superior to others or to be like everyone else in your scene then that makes a person a poseur.  

Ms Dahl

sasy11

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:05 am
Senkutsu
britaki

Exactly! I can't tell you how many goth "scenesters" I've met. They're absolutely ridiculous! Everything they do/say looks as if they memorized a "How to be Uber" manual. To me those are the poseurs. Even if you are an expert on goth music you can still be a poseur. If you use your taste in music (or aesthetics) to appear superior to others or to be like everyone else in your scene then that makes a person a poseur.

but if everyones saying they are goth and that person is saying they are not.its not up to us to say that they arent or are something.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:35 pm
Senkutsu

I agree. Sometimes people who know more may take the superior stance, but they head are so far up their (_o_) and they are so concerned with what is or isn’t goth they lose their perspective of what they like!

I remember hearing Voltair speak about how he and his girlfriend broke up because he got all gother then thou and wanted to only party with his old goth crowd which was a bit stale and she wanted to go hang with a different group. Finally they get back and he goes to her parties and he sees that while they are not his "Traditional goth" listening to the 80's music and such they are all in black listening to goth music and really cool people. He found a crowd that wasn't stale and so stuck in goth they forgot to move with the times. (wow that was more long winded then I meant it to be!)  

DarkPrincesa

~ Main Forum ~

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces