Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Your/ You're Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Fat3 4verruncus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:07 am
It's just like this,YOUR is a possessive pronoun,and is used to denote ownership of the person you are speaking to, while YOU'RE
is a contraction of the word YOU ARE and is like shortening the word,  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:19 am
I don't get how people mess it up...

It's the same as saying "you are" and "your" as in possession....x_x;

"Your stupid" .... the stupid belonging to me?! D;

"You're toy" .... you are toy?!?!

x____________x;;

My boyfriend does it. >>;

But I don't say anything. ._.;;

I'm too nice. e.e  

raucous rae

Kale Dragonheart

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:41 am
I wouldn't go so far as to say that's a pet peeve of mine, but I do like to tease people into realizing they're using the wrong variation of 'your' or 'there' and such like that.

My pet peeve though is how people can confuse the words two, to, and too. I have a friend that thinks two is used the way too should be and it drives me crazy.. It's also sad that I keep correcting my mom who always uses to in replace of too when saying something like not too much.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:28 pm
When I get told thank you I often type your welcome, but I know it should be you're welcome. ^_^"  

dark_elf

Demokritos

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:07 pm
It was confusing when I was in second grade, but I fully understand how it works.

Your is a pronoun, showing ownership. You're is a combination of two words, just to make the sentence shorter. Instead of "You are going there." it would be "You're going there."

Simple.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:19 pm
So many stories people want published on a site constantly abuse "you're" and "your" and even make up their own form:You'r". Please just learn how to use the correct forms. And some of these people have supposed 'Beta readers.' The point of a beta is to catch mistakes like that. Now, it's sad when the beta doesn't catch it.  

Ice_Assassin

Luxx Aeternam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:17 pm
I yell at my classmates for getting the two confused, but I suppose it's a little different. English is their first language. A lot of people also get to/too/two and their/there/they're confused.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:54 pm
I hate when people mix those up. It's not hard to get it right. Your is possessive. You're is you are. How do they mess up so much?  

Masamune no Hi

Ice_Assassin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:05 pm
Masamune no Hi
I hate when people mix those up. It's not hard to get it right. Your is possessive. You're is you are. How do they mess up so much?

Because they either don't care or they're too lazy. Or no one ever taught them correct English.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff