Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
FISHIES LOL

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Marcus McFlufferson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:43 am
Right, well here's the thing. I'm at college at the moment and I study Animal Management, that consists of animal husbandry, veterinary nursing, business with animals, wildlife and other animal related topics.

There's isn't one, no, not one teacher that takes us that realises that fish also the plural and that the ownership of fish would be "fish's". Even the head of our centre, a veterinary nurse for a number of years and a teacher for a number of years, says and types fishies and fishes'.

I'm sorry, but these clamp down a serious burden on me like a good hard branding to the heart, it hurts just to joke about them.

I was wondering what other people think of this?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:01 am
That's very true. I also can't stand when "fish" is pluralized as "fishes". The only other animal I know of where the singular is also the plural is "sheep".

"This is the fish's pond." "That is the sheep's pasture." A plurality treated like a singular. Well, why not? This language isn't known for its consistency.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

[~~Bakky~~]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:00 am
Yami no Hitokiri
That's very true. I also can't stand when "fish" is pluralized as "fishes". The only other animal I know of where the singular is also the plural is "sheep".

"This is the fish's pond." "That is the sheep's pasture." A plurality treated like a singular. Well, why not? This language isn't known for its consistency.

Moose is also one.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:19 am
Well, my friend and I made up a word.
Well, since more than one goose is geese,
We call a heard of moose, a heard of meese.
Makes more sence. ^_^

Stimulating

Goldfische

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:37 am
Deer is another word that is plural without an "s". Killdeer is the same way. Yes, killdeer is a word. It's a small bird.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:05 am
Stimulating
Well, my friend and I made up a word.
Well, since more than one goose is geese,
We call a heard of moose, a heard of meese.
Makes more sence. ^_^
Alright! *high five* My sister and I say 'meese'!! (as a joke)  

YourLovelyBear

Beloved Bear

17,725 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150

Sighren

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:08 am
I don't know, I always used "Fish" as the plural of "Fish." You know, like.. "Look at those fish! Aren't they pretty? DADDY! Can I have a koi? Please? I'll dig the pond myself!"  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:47 pm
I knew that! sweatdrop
(yeah, right) stare

Thanks for the lesson, I will look a lot smarter when talking about animals. This lesson will become handy very soon. Gosh! I love fishing and I've been using "fishes" wrongly since I was little.
Shame on me!  

ramforce

iXenu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:07 am
I've also always used 'fish' when looking at a tankful of... Fish. xd
'Fishes' never really sounded comfortable in my mouth, anyway. blaugh  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:38 pm
Actually....'fishes' can be a correct plural of 'fish'. If you have only one species of fish, the plural is fish; if you have more than one species, the plural is fishes.  

Amphion

rain-one

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:51 pm
I believe that 'fishes' is sort of an older-English term. Not that many older things that I've read have had much to do with fish at all, but you see it from time to time.

In my opinion, the worst offender in this case is "fishs" (shudder) with "fish's" as a close runner-up. Yes, that's right - I have actually see people (obviously with the same brain capacity of the aforementioned animal) use "fishs" as the plural of fish.
As in: "There are so many fishs in the pond."
And as in: "I bought some fishs for dinner at the market."

Doesn't anyone else notice how completely and utterly WRONG it sounds? It's very awkward to say "fishs", for one thing. Try it. It goes "shssssss" at the end. I won't even begin with how awful it looks when written.

Anyway. Enough out of me. <('o')>  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff