Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Tutorials
Hand-Crocheted Shirt

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ladyleprechaun13

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:06 pm
I recently decided to make a shirt by hand, because I can never find anything that fits me the way I want it to, and so I came up with a great customizable shirt. This can be made with any yarn and hook size you want, and any stitch you want, provided you are able to increase and decrease with it. This is intended for girls, though I suppose a guy would be able to make/wear one, too. The basic shirt is a tank top, though you can add sleeves if you wish, or make it a halter top.

First, you need to make four pieces that will form the front and back. I will call these "cups," even though they aren't really, just for simplicity's sake.

To make the cup, make a chain that goes from the front edge of your armpit to the center front of your bra. Remember how many stitches this is, writing it down if you need to. The end with the yarn hanging down will be the neckline. Work in whichever stitch you chose, decreasing every row on the neckline edge, and every other row on the armpit edge, until you have it down to the width you wish the straps to be. Make the straps a stitch or two narrower than you plan on having them, and a row or two shorter, to allow for any decoration and the sewing together of the front and back straps.

After you make all the cups, randomly pick one to start with. Starting at the neckline edge, pick up stitches along the bottom, and once you get to the armpit edge, make a chain long enough to go around under your armpit, then pick up stitches for the first back piece, then the second (these should touch), then armpit again, then the other front piece. You can do this however you want - make it lace or button up the front or back, or be completely closed up. Work in your selected stitch from here, decreasing as desired to fit the waist, then increasing as desired to fit the hips. You can even make it into a dress if you want! Once you are done, you can decorate the edges anyway you want, add sleeves if desired, etc.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:00 pm
cool i am making a simular shirt. if i works i will post it here.i will try it thank you biggrin  

thomlina

2,100 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Statustician 100
  • Person of Interest 200
Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items