Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Y'all, not ya'll. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:42 am
Angelic_Hobo
Another spelling error.

People, its generalizing with a 'z'. Unfortunately there is no word as generalising.

British variant, bruv.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:44 am
Right.

1. In your initial post you said 'you' many times, as though meaning every other member of this guild bar yourself.

2. Hobo, I thought you were from England also, yet you don't know your own dictionary differences to that of the American? Also, in your other thread, you put 'you're' instead of 'your'. When you can pick up on your own very simply grammatical mistakes, then you can falsly pick on other people's spelling mistakes.  

Marcus McFlufferson

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 am
Just take the antecedent of "you" to be "members of the guild who type ya'll", and it makes sense.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:46 am
It certainly does, and fortunately that's how I took it, but that isn't how it was written.  

Marcus McFlufferson

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:48 am
Marcus McFlufferson
It certainly does, and fortunately that's how I took it, but that isn't how it was written.

Also worth noting is that everything I say is a generalisation.

If I don't generalise, my typing gets bloated and unwieldy.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:50 am
Fair enough, so long as you realise smile  

Marcus McFlufferson

Angelic_Hobo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:17 am
Marcus McFlufferson
Right.

1. In your initial post you said 'you' many times, as though meaning every other member of this guild bar yourself.

2. Hobo, I thought you were from England also, yet you don't know your own dictionary differences to that of the American? Also, in your other thread, you put 'you're' instead of 'your'. When you can pick up on your own very simply grammatical mistakes, then you can falsly pick on other poeple's spelling mistakes.

You spelt people wrong!
Unfortunately my parents have always taught me to be a spelling fanatic and I truly regret learning it. Also we have a large age difference. You have studied the language 5 years longer than I have and English is not even my first language. In fact it is my third. (My first is Mandarin, my second is Cantonese)  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:37 am
So I did spell people wrong! Good spot. *Edits mistake*  

Marcus McFlufferson

`Lenzor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:13 pm
I have no idea how the idea of ya'll started but all I know is that it is y'all.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:56 pm
Angelic_Hobo
Don't they use this word in Canada as a greeting?

Er, no. It comes from the southern United States (I think it's a drawl thing). I've definitely never heard it used as a greeting anywhere in the world.

I'm trying to imagine what you were confusing it with, but I can't. I don't think we have any particularly bizzare greetings... however, I may be wrong.  

rain-one

Al Rakis Draconis

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 am
Setsu-P
It's "y'all", and you use it when referring to a group of people, not a single person.

I do not like being referred to as a whole group.

Makes you feel...fat? xD jk  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces