Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
How it annoys me so.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does incorrect pronunciation annoy you?
  Yes!
  No.
  I don't really notice how people pronouce things..
View Results

The One and Only Guardian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:19 pm
Okay, please don't shout at me about my religion, or school. We say prayers before and after every class, right? Well, it it annoys me to death that people say "Ar" (or so it sounds) when they should be saying "Our". Anybody else have a probably with people pronouncing this wrong? ...or is it just weird old me? ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:33 pm
I don't really have a problem with this. Depending on what's around it, I might say it either way. Whatever flows better.

I do have a problem with saying "aunt" as "ant".  

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:01 pm
Ezra Pound
I don't really have a problem with this. Depending on what's around it, I might say it either way. Whatever flows better.

I do have a problem with saying "aunt" as "ant".

Oh, that annoys me even more! D: I must say "aunt" or "auntie"..
Also, "car-a-mel" and "car-mel". I prefer the one with three syllables. wink
There are others like "garage" which some people say as "guuraugg". I say "been" the way that sounds like "been", but my friends refuse to listen.. D:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:08 pm
I think it depends on regional accent.

I may be able to type properly, but my Southern accent causes me to say words like crayon as "cran" and tire iron as "tair airn."

It's bad, I know. sweatdrop  

Lady Snoogin

8,400 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100

The Traveling Pikmin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:23 pm
If I'd said yes, then I'd be a hypocrite. I have horrible problems with saying R sounds. Write sounds like wite. Roll sounds like woll. What's the problem with "are" and "our"? People speak in aa lazy fasion. Most don't even say "an".  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:54 am
It is indeed quite annoying. Sometimes, it's very confusing to comprend.  

Sweet Blushes

ririnyan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:57 pm
My best example of confusing pronounciation comes from this weekend, in fact, watching the Winter X Games (snowboarding, skiing etc competition) on TV. Listening to the commentary on one of the events, I actually couldn't decide whether the guy was saying "big error" or "big air" which, when you're not looking at the TV screen, makes something of a difference to how you think things are going! sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:07 pm
Okay, please don't shout at me about my religion, or school. We say prayers before and after every class, right? Well, it it annoys me to death that people say "Ar" (or so it sounds) when they should be saying "Our". Anybody else have a probably with people pronouncing this wrong? ...or is it just weird old me? ninja

I wouldn't say they are pronouncing "our" incorrectly; however, the way they are pronouncing our isn't the way YOU are pronouncing it.  

Alcatrazstate

Omni_Reaper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:25 am
I take it you're Catholic? Well in case you are, so am I, and we say prayers before classes too. But then again, I'm Irish, and no-one would notice something like 'Ar' and 'Our' because it's the way we and always will pronounce it. Well... unless you're from Galway.... >.>  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:43 am
People in my family say "Mondee", "Tuezdee", "Wenzdee", etc. It's DAY, not DEE! scream It drives me insane, but they don't stop. I guess that's what I get for living in Texas.  

A Story Worth Telling

Eloquent Elocutionist

10,225 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Jane-Doe-is-dead

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:37 am
One of the teachers at my school pronounces "Diploma" like "Diplomer".

IT'S SO ANNOYING!!! scream  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 pm
Well, my school has plenty of migrants and foreign students... the different accents makes it extremely difficult to decide if they really are mispronouncing the word or it's just the accent - and it's particularly difficult for me as I don't actually have the 'local' accent and have a rather strange accent that at times sounds American, at others a little British and at OTHERS a little Australian.

Although the funniest thing that happened was someone asking me while I was working (at a fast food restaurant) what country I came from because they wanted to know where my "accent was from"... and I told them I'd been in the country for fourteen years. >.>

All in all, mispronunciation is something that's a little hard to judge, thanks to all those different accents. And you can't really fault people from Asian countries for pronouncing things a certain way: for example, the Japanese language doesn't HAVE some syllables that are quite... important in the English language.  

Ishita_Kanzar

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff