Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
What exactly is a yarn over?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Is she for real?!
  You should know what yarn overs are already!
  Oh, it's really simple, but here's a link anyway
  My dear, there's no such thing as yarn overs
  Je suis perdu! Je ne parle pas anglais! Aidez-moi! ;_;
View Results

Beboots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:34 am
I've been eyeing a couple of patterns I've accumulated, and many times in the course of perusal I've seen "YO" - yarn over. My stitchionary is unhelpful. ;_; Can anybody explain what they are clearly to me, or send me a link to some pictures?

(...Oh, it's probably something crazy simple that I've done before, isn't it? Something I'll kick myself for not knowing once I see what it is? crying )  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:36 am
I took a look at knittinghelp.com. Apparently it's a type of increase.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/basic_techniques/increase.php

It's right at the bottom of the page.  

Annchen

Sparkly Bibliophile

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:37 am
A yarn over is where you take the yarn and drape it over your hook so that you're ready to pull it through the loop on your hook. I tried to look up a video for it, but I'm pressed for time this morning and couldn't find it. I'm sure some other wonderful person will find the video though. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:07 am
In knitting, a yarn over is for increases, and most often seen in lace knitting. Just make a loop around the needle between two stitches as if you were going to knit another stitch, then leave it on the needle and continue knitting. When you get to it in the next row, treat it as any other stitch. If this doesn help try www.knitting.about.com 's instruction pages  

gemini6184

Silver Mist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:22 am
Je ne sais pas, but I did want to say, I love the last option in the poll. Made me giggle.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:55 am
Knitting: wrapping the yarn over the needle exactly as if you were going to knit or purl, but then doing nothing and going on the the next stitch as if you had just finished the last. It leaves a hole when you do the next row, so it is unhelpful for normal increases, but very useful for patterns and laces.

Crocheting: wrapping the yarn over the hook to create another loop, which usually means adding extra height to your crochets. When you're doing a double crochet you automatically yarn over before hooking into the row underneath to create extra loops.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Beboots

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:21 am
Thank you very much for all your help, guys! 3nodding I think I've got it. I really do appreciate it (especially the helpful links - yay pictures!).

Silver Mist
Je ne sais pas, but I did want to say, I love the last option in the poll. Made me giggle.

Merci beaucoup! XD Il y a des temps quand je tricote que je veux pleurer comme ça. Mais ma soeur peux m'aider, donc c'est pas si pire que ça. ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:54 am
Beboots
Thank you very much for all your help, guys! 3nodding I think I've got it. I really do appreciate it (especially the helpful links - yay pictures!).

Silver Mist

Merci beaucoup! XD Il y a des temps quand je tricote que je veux pleurer comme ça. Mais ma soeur peux m'aider, donc c'est pas si pire que ça. ^_^

I will honestly confess a crazy school schedule stopped me from lessons right before I reached fluency. And since then, I've forgtten alot. But I can mostly read what you wrote. ^^  

Silver Mist

Beboots

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:58 pm
Silver Mist
Beboots

Silver Mist

I will honestly confess a crazy school schedule stopped me from lessons right before I reached fluency. And since then, I've forgtten alot. But I can mostly read what you wrote. ^^

Je ne suis pas bilingue non plus. razz Ma grammaire est practiquement non-existant. Franglais forever!!!1!  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games