Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knitting History

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:04 pm
I'm working on an essay for my History of Art in Japan class, and one of the subjects I'm considering is knitting. Of course, with knitting/crochet having been mostly a european handcraft, I'm having trouble finding resources. I've only been able to find two websites and two books (my library only carries one of which) with any information at all, and we're not supposed to use web sources. Any recomendations?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:35 pm
Honestly you might do better with silk weaving, the making of samurai armor, or some other kind of crafty art. I don't think knitting got to Japan til far later than the rest of the world. sweatdrop  

gemini6184

knitting_needle_ninja

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:28 pm
I know they've had forms of knitting for thousands of years (not like what we have to day, but they still made fabic in a simmilar way), and they've had true knitting since at least the beginning of the Meji period (1850's or so). China has had forms of crochet longer than any other nation, and I wasn't sure if Japan had something like that too.

Also, we have to be able to make a sample of whatever it is so making armour or weaving are kind of out of the question.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:13 pm
Anne Modesitt's Confessions of a Knitting Heretic has a little bit of history on unconventional knitting styles, maybe you could use her as a resource? Even if it's only for her bibliography wink  

Zahra Ovaci

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:18 pm
I know you can't use web resources, but here's some sites that might serve as jumping-off points if you can check their sources:

http://www.knitjapan.co.uk/j_select/pages/japanknitting_pt1.php

Quote:
Before the Europeans

‘Amimono ima mukashi’ (Knitting Today & Past) - Yoshihiro Matushita, 1986, published by Nihon Vogue, provides an introduction to the history of knitting in Japan, largely from the perspective of the development of knitting yarn manufacturers. Most of this article is drawn from this source. Mr Matushita briefly covers some ancient textile relics that he considers to be connected to knitting

(once again, one should bear in mind how little research exists in this area).

Also, be sure that the people you're sourcing mean knitting as we mean knitting, and not as knotting or netting or naalbinding, which came about much earlier.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:48 pm
Thanks. I'll see if I can find that book. Sadly, that website was the one good source I managed to find.  

knitting_needle_ninja

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:07 pm
there is a lot of history to knitting, and its really fun... but not much in Japan.
you MIGHT find more about nalbinding in Japan, though I don't really think so.
what you could do is how they spun silk, there's lots of history for that, and its cool stuff. 3nodding  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games