Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
OCD - Over Correction Disorder

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Midnight_Kitten6216

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:29 pm
So I was talking to someone in a town and this girl starts talking to me, asking me this, "do u hav ne spare gold?" and, of course, being the grammar freak I am, I corrected her. "You mean this, "Do you have any spare gold?" and I asked why she was bugging people for gold anyways. She got all crazy on me and called me a freak. I took it as a compliment...

If you have read Eats, Shoots, and Leaves then you may be in the same boat I am.

What are your stories?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:33 pm
TXT TLK subforum. Hoorah.

And I am so tempted to edit your post.  

The Man who was Thursday

Demokritos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:12 pm
I don't have any particular stories, but most of the time it goes a little like this.

Them: "do u hav any gold????????"
Me: "*Do you have any gold?"
Them: "y r u corecting me?"
Me: "Because the way that you had put it was incorrect."
Them: "its not rong it's called txt talk."
Me: "Txt talk = n00b talk."
Them: "im not a n00b u r a n00b."

Basically.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 4:15 pm
Ezra Pound
TXT TLK subforum. Hoorah.

And I am so tempted to edit your post.

I'm so sorry! I'm still getting used to forums. I usually am not on them often...  

Midnight_Kitten6216

red_moon_wolfess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:06 pm
I alwase thaught that there was no such thing as OCD: obssesive compulsive disorder.
My english teacher alwase told me:

"If your obssesive compulsive, how can you possibly have a dissorder?"  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:56 pm
red_moon_wolfess
I alwase thaught that there was no such thing as OCD: obssesive compulsive disorder.

It's 'always.' and 'thought' talk2hand

I'm really lucky. My computer won't let me onto the Towns section of Gaia. I don't have to listen to all the n00b/txt talk.

Lady Gojyo

Ford Farmer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:18 pm
I fear I may have OCD. Everytime I read over other's posts I cringe in horror. It's frightening how much schooling these kids have had.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:41 pm
Ford Farmer
I fear I may have OCD. Everytime I read over other's posts I cringe in horror. It's frightening how much schooling these kids have had.

Depends on the grade level, those in middle school and under you can only blame so much, like you said they didn't have much schooling. However, when you get into the high school college level then they have no excuse.  

Midnight_Kitten6216

Midnight_Kitten6216

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:43 pm
red_moon_wolfess

Yes OCD is quite real, if you ever watch MONK they have an over done version, but hey, it happens. Most people are OCD about one or two things, and you can tell if you notice the same thing on people over and over and it is the prevailing thought in your head. IE - If I see a necklace and the clasp is showing I go nuts until it is fixed.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:50 am
I correct people everywhere, especially in MMORPGs... No one likes me in them.
Random person: "Lolz I just rapeded pwned this oober leet newb."
Me: "Do you mean, "Haha, I just raped and owned this uber cool newbie?"
Et cetera.  

Mr. Pie Man

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:25 pm
I am an insane correct-er.

*must... fix... dissorder...*

*disorder*

OK, now I'm good.

Those insane noobs. My fury cannot be expressed in words (In English - Spanish and French have some interesting swear words).  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:39 pm
I don't really get into correcting people because, more often than not, the response will be hostile. I just let people see how I type and hope it'll rub off on them somewhat.

I think this thread can stay in the main forum since it's talking about how we respond to text talk and not actually quoting an instance of it.  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

Midnight_Kitten6216

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:25 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
I am an insane correct-er.

*must... fix... dissorder...*

*disorder*

OK, now I'm good.

Those insane noobs. My fury cannot be expressed in words (In English - Spanish and French have some interesting swear words).

German has a few good ones as well...but they make no sense in English.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:27 pm
Yami no Hitokiri
I don't really get into correcting people because, more often than not, the response will be hostile. I just let people see how I type and hope it'll rub off on them somewhat.

I think this thread can stay in the main forum since it's talking about how we respond to text talk and not actually quoting an instance of it.

That is actually what i was going for. thanks  

Midnight_Kitten6216

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces