Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply "TXT TLK" horror stories
I used to be a "TXT TLK" horror.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Scary?
  Ouch. My brain cells.
  No. >>;
  Mandatory poll whore option
View Results

Yue Ming

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:09 pm
.___.

I got my computer when I was 11 years old, and in grade 6. This was my first experience with a computer and internet, so naturally curious, I dove right in.

I signed up for Neopets. I'm sure a lot of you guys have heard of it, right? Well, on Neopets, I was immersed in "cht spaek". So being 11, the seemingly "cool" thing for me to do at the time was do what everyone else did. So I had the whole "so lke wht r u doing 4 ths weekend???//" going on.

Then I got pulled into roleplaying. I remember I was on the roleplay boards one day, in an Inuyasha roleplay. I saw a post by this girl on my thread that said "Sorry, not to offend you or anything, but roleplaying in chat speak doesn't seem right. Could you please stop?" I actually did. From then, I actually never got back into text talking again.

I only remember what she said, and I don't remember the person. Only that she was female. And if I could find her, I'd thank her on bended knee, because she's spared me so far of 4 years of looking like a complete idiot.

So, my question is, did any of you guys use to be "Txt tlk" horrors?

-----

One more thing.
My username "Yue Ming" [Literal: Moon Light] is grammatically incorrect. XD

It's actually supposed to be Ming Yue, but I actually never looked on the grammar side of it until I changed it. =_=;

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:35 pm
I never used to be a "txt tlk" horror, but it always irritated me to get online and chat with someone who typed like that.

1) It was annoying because it was such a fast simple thoughtless response.
2) I knew very little acronyms (this later embarrassed me when I experimented with "txt talk" xD).

But, you are now cured. So congratulations! YEY! heart  

Sammie of Spades

Buccellatte

Sparkly Conversationalist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:40 pm
What's with all the emotes? This isn't AIMgirl.

I was never a txt tlk horror. Ever since I'd started going onlike when I was nine years old, I always typed in good grammar.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:16 pm
I was. I admit it. I am horribly ashamed.

I think Neopets just encourages the "txt talk" in youngsters, who think that "lyk3 h3y whats upp w/u !m so b0r3d!!!11" is a perfectly acceptable sentence in the English language. Since some of the "older" users are doing it, "lyke what up buy from my shop plz im SOOOOOOOOOOO poor" seems to be a disturbing trend. That was the main reason that I left Neopets, I couldn't take the "txt talk" (okay, so that and I was thinking it was a bit immature for a 14-year-old to be playing Neopets every day).  

babyflyingsquirrels

SuffocatedHope

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:31 pm
I used to be a "txt tlk" horror, too. It was only for maybe two months but I was trying to sort of examine what people did when chatting online. It got to a point where I couldn't take it anymore (using "txt tlk", that is) and noticed some changes in me (I started to almost write in "txt tlk" and on several occasions say "lol.").
Besides, I felt like a complete idiot. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:31 pm
When I first started instant messaging, I used chat speak because an American Girl magazine issue talked about how great it was. Eventually it just got...immature. Now I can't stand it at ALL.  

iCrayon

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:25 pm
I remember using "txt tlk" when I first started chatting online too. At that time, I wasn't used to typing, so I typed in shortcuts to save time. Eventually, I started becoming self-conscious about it, and I also picked up the equally annoying habit of picking on my friends' spelling mistakes (especially ones that make words longer), so I stopped.

Yue Ming
One more thing.
My username "Yue Ming" [Literal: Moon Light] is grammatically incorrect. XD

It's actually supposed to be Ming Yue, but I actually never looked on the grammar side of it until I changed it. =_=;

I thought "Ming Yue" means "bright moon". (明月) If you want it to be "moonlight" then I'm pretty sure that it should be "Yue Guang". (月光)  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:53 pm
babyflyingsquirrels
I was. I admit it. I am horribly ashamed.

I think Neopets just encourages the "txt talk" in youngsters, who think that "lyk3 h3y whats upp w/u !m so b0r3d!!!11" is a perfectly acceptable sentence in the English language. Since some of the "older" users are doing it, "lyke what up buy from my shop plz im SOOOOOOOOOOO poor" seems to be a disturbing trend. That was the main reason that I left Neopets, I couldn't take the "txt talk" (okay, so that and I was thinking it was a bit immature for a 14-year-old to be playing Neopets every day).

YES!! Neopets does encourage txt tlk. My brother uses txt tlk. I hate it!! But I admit that I used to be a txt tlk horror. I would be all "WU?? wht r u doin ths wkend?? wnna hang???"
But I was on my friends IM 'cause she let me on and the person I was talking to was like evil. He wouldn't stop using it!! I think IM and Neopets encourage it.  

Noche Flor

Fat3 4verruncus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:35 am
A long time ago I was a txt-tlk horror on message boards and on pm's. Then I thought "Why should I txt-tlk? There's no max character limit and all the letters are apart from each other(unlike in cellphones)" Then I changed.  
"TXT TLK" horror stories

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games