Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Sentence Structure Anybody?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Parisxx

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:17 pm
Ok, i know this may not be the forum to post this in but hey best to try anything, and no matter how much you try to tell everyone they don;t read the line CONSTRUCTIVE CRITISCISM ONLY, i'm hoping everyone understands that i have been told off because i was being too soft.

Anyways...

Ok so heres the deal. I've been told by many people and some authors my writing and everything is great, i mean i have the potential, imagination, everything. Everything but my sentence structure.

I heard they are suspossed to teach sentence structure in school. Here is another thing my teacher never taught me it. So I have no clue what so ever what sentence structure is. I was wondering if my Fellow Gaians would tell me what it is exactly/and try to help me with it. I having no idea what sentence structure i got a journal back i wrote in english class the other day. The comments were: good sentence structure. How did i do it?. I completly wrote randomly and got good sentence structure. Now i am struggling to figure out what sentence structure is. Grr . I want to be a writer but i don't want this structure thing being the only thing weighing me down. Last Thing i heard Sentence structure was complex but i had Hunch. Why would people join this guild if they had no grammar knowledge. Defeats the purpose Well I'm hoping i made myself clear.
Bye for now!!  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:59 pm
Having 'good' sentence structure means that each sentence expresses a complete thought/idea, and the sentences in a paragraph flow logically. Also, a paragraph can only contain ONE topic. All in all, it is about how you can package what you are trying to express, and if you can lead the reader through your thinking in a logical manner.  

Ishita_Kanzar

ririnyan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:34 pm
http://www.arts.uottawa.ca/writcent/hypergrammar/sntstrct.html

The link above is a useful little summary on what sentence structure actually is. From the point of view of a writer, I would probably add that variations of complex and simple sentence structure make for better writing, so this may be what your teachers consider good use of structure. Striking the medium between "Go, Dog, Go!" and "Mansfield Park" can be tricky, but it does make for more interesting writing. sweatdrop

(On a separate note, and not meant in an unkind manner, but just because it has been mentioned in a post in the forum and I'd rather say it nicely now than have someone get annoyed later, try to remember to capitalize "I" in the first person singular! wink )

...I really do write at the Jane Austen end of the spectrum with my sentences sometimes. @_@  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games