Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Now, normally (as you know) I'm rather lax about grammar.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:17 pm
--that is, when it comes to other peoples'. Mine is usually impeccable or purposely flawed.

That said, nothing grates on my nerves more than "did used to".

Most of the time, you'll hear it as "didn't used to" ("I didn't used to get carsick" for instance), but they're the same thing grammatically; one just has an adverb thrown in.

I hear EVERYBODY saying this; I even catch myself saying it sometimes, whereupon I promptly punch myself in the face thrice, much to the amusement/confusion of whomever to whom I was speaking.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:54 pm
I suffer from that too. x x  

Sighren

iXenu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:19 am
Hmm... I don't normally do that. ^^;; It just never stuck with me, though I never knew it was bad grammar. Thanks for the new information. cool  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:46 am
I wouldnt be caught dead saying something like that. If I did, I'd probably punch myself in the face three times too.  

CezzaXV

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:49 am
I think I might have slipped up and said something like that a few times. It is a redundancy of course. If he used to do something, it's obvious he did it. cool  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:15 am
Sighren
I suffer from that too. x x
Not to be off-topic, but...

As much as your signature rocks, it's 1.4 megabytes; that's 14 times Gaia limits. sweatdrop You might want to change it, before a Gaia moderator disables your signature.  

DarkElf27

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:39 am
I don't speak even remotely how I type. I use big words to confuse people, but I'm a grammatical mess in real life. I tried to use the slap-the-face tactic, but my cheek hurt in five minutes, and I didn't have the heart to go on. I now have another tactic: Speak... very... slowly... so as to insure my grammar and pronunciation are correct. The one drawback is people asking, "Are you high?"

Gah. "I didn't do nothing!" Incrimination at its best.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:45 am
I think I might have done that before. I never knew didn't used to would be bad grammer, but now that I think about it, did used to sounds really stupid. ninja  

kyuuketsuki4

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff