Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
I before E except after C Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:38 am
Amphion
Ezra Pound

The preposition thing isn't really invented. Preposition = prae positum = placed before. If it's not placed before another word, it can't be a preposition. :/

Yes, actually, it is. It was invented to make English more like Latin. Unless you think that this:

Overzealous grammarians are people up with whom I will not put

is more natural than:

Overzealous grammarians are people whom I will not put up with.

It's like the infinitives thing. In Latin, infinitives are impossible to split, hence, they decided, English infinitives shall not be split. Which is utter garbage.

-----------

It has often been said that English has no rules, only lists of exceptions.

So if you're with that, I take it you're not one of the people who is avidly against chatspeak?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:01 pm
Ezra Pound

So if you're with that, I take it you're not one of the people who is avidly against chatspeak?

Well...Let's put it this way: It annoys the hell out of me, but there's generally not much that I can do about it besides going into a glazed-over, shock-induced stupor. But woe betide should anyone ask me to proofread something....  

Amphion

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:28 pm
Amphion
Ezra Pound

Well...Let's put it this way: It annoys the hell out of me, but there's generally not much that I can do about it besides going into a glazed-over, shock-induced stupor. But woe betide should anyone ask me to proofread something....

That's ridiculous. You don't care about dangling prepositions, but other so-called abominations to English are totally fine!

Ehh.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces