Reply ~ Main Forum ~
Anti-Label/Pro-Label = fad?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

m a r l o w

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:29 pm
Is it me, or are there like at least five threads in this guild at any given time deadicated to whether labels and good/bad, etc. That's a lot. Though I know I'm not helping by making this thread.

My question is:
Why is it suddenly a problem?

5 (even 3) years ago LABELS (to me) were not near as much a problem as they are now. Nowadays everyone seems to have a opinion about who should be called what, why someone should be called what, why being called something what is good or bad, etc. Is being anti-label or even making a fuss about labels a fad? When the original Got Goth? thread was created (I was there) no one fussed about what was/wasn't Goth. Why is it suddenly a problem?

And if it was always a problem, has it escalated?

Give me your opinion. c:

Note: Please don't rant on about the badness of labels, or whatever, this thread is more about the issue of the label-fad, rather than the proper usage of labels.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:12 pm
It's a problem now because everyone has this overwhelming desire to be original.

They don't want their "originality" - which traditionally stems from what used to be nonconformity - to be grouped with anyone else (those are your labels).

Most of the people who have an issue with this are the people who believe that the way they dress is what makes them goth or not. They fail to realise that it's your attitude/personality/fingerprints/DNA that make you original, not the different trends or un-trends you follow.

There is nothing new under the sun.

Yet they still think there is - that "new" being them.

User Image

MortSanglant

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:15 pm
MortSanglant
It's a problem now because everyone has this overwhelming desire to be original.

They don't want their "originality" - which traditionally stems from what used to be nonconformity - to be grouped with anyone else (those are your labels).

Most of the people who have an issue with this are the people who believe that the way they dress is what makes them goth or not. They fail to realise that it's your attitude/personality/fingerprints/DNA that make you original, not the different trends or un-trends you follow.

User Image

That's the best way of putting it.

They want to belong as part of a group, but also want to be original.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:30 pm
i dont really worry about it to be honest...i get plenty of labels placed on me...goth, punk, freak, etc, but i honestly dont give a s**t. people can think what they choose, and the only way to truly be who and what you are and wish to become is to not allow outside criticism to direct you. i will be who i am, dress how a choose, say what i want, despite how controversial or rude or whatever it might seem, and if somebody has a problem with the fact that what i say doesnt agree with what they believe, ******** em.  

DR490N

MortSanglant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:30 pm
GilAskan
MortSanglant

User Image

That's the best way of putting it.

They want to belong as part of a group, but also want to be original.

Glad you agree, Gil.

^^

User Image

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:31 pm
everyone knows they have/do label
they're perfectly fine, if you use them correctly  

The Dadalorian

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:00 pm
Ask Chaos A.D. or Isel.

Nothing annoys me more then anti-stereotype people. I've always been proud of what I am, I am a mettaler. And always will be.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:44 pm
Well I think it's an on-going problem that... while it may never be resolved, I also think that it shouldn't be ignored or pushed under the rug for a period of time.

I also believe it's more complex than just "who is anti-label and who isn't."

Yes, we've all heard a million times that "labels are for soup cans" that arguement get's old. FAST. But it DOES cause quite a bit of emotional distress in youth who well... aren't as secure as other are. I guess it's just one of those things that we always have to be aware of. ESPECIALLY if you're still dealing what this highschool crap. I also don't think that the problem will ever stop until we learn to read eachother's minds or something.  

Silly_Doll

DarkPrincesa

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:21 pm
Well I must admit I am guilty of making a label thread but....

I think it’s such an issue because people just want to be. No rules, no labels just be. We also want to belong and so we start to form groups, and then don’t want to let anyone else in incase the "mess it up" so we start to label those not in the group to keep them out.

Which brings us back to those who just want to be, forming groups to belong who then keep people out.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:51 pm
.....the only thing that makes labels such a problem is interpretation.....each person has their own ideas about what is what.......and eventually these ideas form common ideas (stereo-types) that aren't nessecarily backed by actual facts and truth.....the only solutions I see is that either labels are eliminated....or unified into stable versions......

....other than that interpretation of the controversy I agree with Marlow and Morganslant....  

OverlordMMM

Katanas Blade

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:31 pm
Maybe the intent of the person using the label is most important. If the person means it as an insult, its bad. If its not meant as an insult, its okay? I think that many of the people who don't like labels are the people who don't like what they were labeled as, in which case, they are most likely not being true to themselves. Our english class just got in a huge, ongoing debate with our teacher about all of this. labels have always been around. If not for labels, how do we know what is what, who is who? Like soup. If not for the label, how do we know if its chicken noodle, or tomato? What is considered a label? If you get into detail about it, everything is a label, everything HAS a label. Even your name can be considered a label.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:29 am
Actually to answer your question, anything small is a problem, when like gaia, you have 4 million people with conflicting ideals in a small space and expect them to talk about it.  

Rellik San
Crew

~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces