Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Txt Tlk: When is it acceptable? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chat Speak?
  Texting.
  AIM
  Never.
View Results

Rei-Melon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:06 pm
I always prefer to use proper english and I rarely if never use 1337 and 'txt talk'. I believe it shouldn't ever be used unless you are in a big hurry.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:37 am
Thanks for keeping the debate civil. smile

I don't use "txt tlk" at all, period. My cell phone limits me to 160 characters, so I use them judiciously. I use shorter words and sentences. I certainly never use it on IM (except for acronyms like IM rofl ) and of course, never, ever in the forums.

Was that a run-on sentence?  

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

SinnyStar

Invisible Star

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:33 pm
I always try to type in normal English, but when the time comes for me to get off the computer immediately, I type a quick "txt talk" farewell. Other than that, I take my time to type each word out the way it should.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:14 pm
Personally, I almost never use text-talk. I do agree that trying to shorten a message sent by phone, where you have a limited number of characters, is reasonable. And if you can type it faster because of it, then all the better. Text messaging by phone is suppose to be to send fast messages to someone. But if you have to send a relatively long message, then trying to shorten with the reasonable substitutes is all right by me.
Otherwise, I would never condone any sort of text talk.  

Yokushi

limp dick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:25 pm
To be frank, I prefer efficiency over grammar any day.

I don't use apostrophes and I don't use proper punctuation when I send text messages.

I do use proper spelling, though.

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces