Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Can "ghetto" talk get anymore annoying?! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ghetto talk?
  HELLZ YEAH,HOMIE G DAWG!!!111!!!
  No.
  What is this "Gheto talk" you speak of?
  I don't even know what they are saying most/half of the time.
  POLL WHORE COMING THROUGH!!!
View Results

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:34 pm
You know what annoys me more than 'txt-tlk', ghetto and retards?
People who use bright green/pink/orange writing which makes your eyes melt into small puddles of nerve cells and jelly.
STOP IT, PEOPLES. Please.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:43 am
I must say that I find ghetto talk to be extremely annoying. Not only does it offend the eye, but the ear as well. I work at a pizza restaurant, and when one can't understand the customer because they are muttering and using ghetto talk, it is enough to make one reach through the phone and STRANGLE THEIR F***ING NECKS! I'm there because they want to be lazy and not cook, and they give me a hard time! GRRRRR!!!!!!!  

Amaya84

x-Sadistic_Angel-x

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:00 am
xD It makes me laugh.
We generally get wiggers around my area.
Rich kids with nothing better to do.
It makes me laugh so hard when you hear white people saying to each other:
'yo wasup homie!'
'nm *****'  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:20 pm
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I cannotstand this.

wrungxOUTxrainbowz

Mist in Shadows

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:39 pm
Gilco

There are the ones that speak it not because they want but because it is the only way they know how. They do not even realize it and I and probably them as find it sort of annoying that people would say that the way they talk is annoying. They are not flaming you for having perfect speech.

Actually, throughout my life I have been flamed many, many times for my good speech. People who speak ghetto and ebonics will often rag on me, telling me "Ooh, Dictionary Girl" and "Stop talking like a robot, b***h!" . And I certainly don't speak like a robot, I just tend to use words above a third grade level and with proper grammar. So saying they don't insult people for using proper language is false. Maybe not for all; I hate to generalize. But it does happen.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:40 pm
Well, I really don't have a problem with it. It only irks me when you really and truly don't know what they're saying. Their words rifle off into a machine-gun volley of phrases and then you have no idea what's going on. And I find most people who use ghettospeak can actually speak properly and nicely, too. It's a waste.

THAT is what I find annoying. Ghettospeak is commonly used to intimidate people, to seem tough, maybe to confuse the 'enemy.' There's no use for it in a normal situation. But people still use it to portray a certain image. That image is something that's not at all likable. Why do people degrade themselves, if the stereotype isn't even cool? It's supposed to be 'tough' I gather, but all it looks like to me is 'pathetically hopeless.'

That's not a challenge to any ghetto people out there. What I would admire as a 'ghetto' stereotype is a person who, despite obviously tough odds, is intelligent and well mannered. The whole grungy crackhead alcohol-soaked ghetto thing says to me that everyone who follows the image has allowed an environment to shape and bend them, to break them. Someone who's a gentleman and backs up his word even when faced with terrible conditions? THAT'S an image that I'm willing to respect.

That's a thought. What if using proper speech was commonplace among ghetto culture? That would be interesting. Or maybe I'm a nutcase. You pick.  

SilverBellsAbove

Sammie of Spades

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:20 pm
I don't like the "talk ghetto on purpose" thing.
But.... This kid, as I just went back and realized, is in the 2nd grade.
He could've learned by now....?
Possibly?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:57 pm
I saw a commercial the other day that had people with huge bubbles as bodies and they kept saying, 'Where you at?' 'Where you at?' 'You know where I at,' and I have to admit, I studied media and still have no clue where they "were at" or what they were doing.  

Conall the Wanderer

Rei-Melon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:50 pm
I hate the "Ghetto" talk as much as the next person. For the longest time I never knew what the work "Crunk" meant. Then, I learned it meant "Crazy" and "Drunk" all in the same word. The worst grammar I will use is "Y'all" and "Wassup" etc. Otherwise I'll greet people the normal ways. But, yeah, I believe Ghetto talk, next speak, Txt talk and all the like are very, very annoying. I admit I can be a Grammar Nazi at times, but I don't way overdo it. Sometimes I even correct my own mother on her grammar when she says a sentence incorrectly or spells something wrong. But I do think it is cool that sometimes people ask me how to spell something. At times, I can stand Ghettospeak, but most of the time I can't bear it. I usually hear it just about every day at school.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:08 am
I'm okay with it in normal, common conversation...but in writing, no way, unless you're depicting a character in a book or something.  

Patron with a Mission

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:34 pm
People should only be allowed to "Ghetto" talk whe they live in one. Most people who speak in such a manner don't know what ghetto really means. So smack them around untill they do.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:19 am
You know, it's funny seeing rich kids throw their money around when there's no "ghetto" within 50 miles. I wonder if they even know what "ghetto" actually means.
I'm sure we've had the "Uh-oh! Oreo"--people who look one way, and then speak the 'opposite' way. People at my school, 'specially my own race CANNOT stand me because I actually have good speech and use words above my peer group. People also get mad at me because I use big words. Well...my arguement is: Do you want someone talking to you all the time in short words, or do you want someone who can say it all in a couple of words, then shut up?  

SonarP

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:43 pm
Good point, SonarP. Sometimes when someone goes off on a spiel and then expects me to repeat it I want to scream. I say it in five words when they use fifteen, and then they call me a smart a** for no reason. It's not my fault they don't know the word 'penultimate' meant!

Argh, it makes me so frustrated. It's enough to turn a bi girl straight I tell you, and that's a lot because I happen to be bi!
burning_eyes  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:12 pm
Well, Please don't lose any respect for me, If you have any right now. I am only 12, I grew up in hearing ghetto talk. It is like 2nd nature, for me to understand, and speak this type of "Ghetto talk". I use it when I am at school. And All of my friends do. Though, it does not realy show-off my vocabulary. Wrods like "yo" replace hello. And "Homie, homes, and Dog." Replace friend. "What's crackilakin, Fo-sho, etc." Are just things you learn to say. It might bother adults, no offence beacuse I love to talk to them, adults that is, But anyway, "Ghetto talk" Can just be like kid code, Or how kids talk. And when I do show-off my vocabulary, kids get mad. So, I usualy don't use my vocabualary at school. Just other places.

Angelic-Sargeant

SonarP

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:34 pm
SilverBellsAbove
Good point, SonarP. Sometimes when someone goes off on a spiel and then expects me to repeat it I want to scream. I say it in five words when they use fifteen, and then they call me a smart a** for no reason. It's not my fault they don't know the word 'penultimate' meant!

Argh, it makes me so frustrated. It's enough to turn a bi girl straight I tell you, and that's a lot because I happen to be bi!
burning_eyes

Right on, m'lady. I second that.  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas