Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
A better understanding

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think English is too complicated?
  Yes, it's difficult.
  No, it's very simple.
  I'm not sure.
View Results

Kisu Midori

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:27 am
There needs to be a better understanding of the English language as a whole for anyone who speaks it. If you can comprehend how a language works, you are more likely to use it the right way, and excell a little further in anything you do.
Vocabulary is one very important example, one who has diction, has the power of communication. When you find someone who uses more complicated words in his average conversations, you are more likely to discuss things like politics, new ideas, and important subjects that matter with him/her, less gossip and nonsense like that. Not saying that people who use 'big words' don't gossip, it is just more likely that they won't.
Punctuation is another one. The average person doesn't know where the semi colon goes. Punctuation is falling further and further away from a typers reach. People just don't use the coma, or the apostrophe anymore. Heck, some people don't even know the difference between "it's" and "its".
I need opinions on this matter. I thought it might be a good discussion topic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:06 am
How abouts you tell us where the semi-colon goes then?
Apart from a few terminological phrases, that's pretty much all I stump at.  

Marcus McFlufferson

GeonsLegacy IV

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:36 am
To tell the truth, I'm not sure.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:48 am
Compared to the majority of languages, I personally think that English is by far one of the easiest to learn and master...the only problem is that the people who speak the language are usually lazy and don't really care if they use good grammar or not.  

Nalarem

The Man who was Thursday

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 9:59 am
Ironically, your punctuation and some other things make what you said very confusing! Here's a fixed version:

Kisu Midori
There needs to be a better understanding of the English language as a whole by anyone who speaks it. If you can comprehend how a language works, you are more likely to use it the right way, and excel a little further in anything you do.
Vocabulary is one very important example; one who has good diction has the power of communication. When you find someone who uses more complicated words in his average conversations, you are more likely to discuss things like politics, new ideas, and important subjects that matter with him rather than gossip and nonsense like that. I'm not saying that people who use 'big words' don't gossip; it is just more likely that they won't. [<
Punctuation is another one. The average person doesn't know where the semicolon [< goes. Punctuation is falling further and further away from a typist's reach. People just don't use the comma or the apostrophe anymore. Heck, some people don't even know the difference between "it's" and "its".
I need opinions on this matter. I thought it might be a good discussion topic.

Whew. Done.

Marcus: You use a semicolon when separating two related independent clauses without a conjunction.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:25 pm
I always thought that English would be a complicated language to learn but I learned it when I was pretty young so I don't remember. The semi-colon goes between 2 sentences that sounds like a whole sentence. Er... don't try using it unless you know what you're doing- that's my advice. I never use semi-colons.  

The Shoe Pile

Chase Keyhole

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:07 pm
I completely agree with you. Vocabulary and Punctuation are very important when it comes to conversations and writing. =)  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games