Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
iPod sock?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

CAPTAIN Plixy[Stix]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:37 am
I have an iPod mini and I carry it around with me everywhere but I'm scared because it might break or get dirty. So I decided I wanted to make an iPod sock!

I'm a beginner in knitting and I can only knit scarves so far... but I was wondering how hard would it be to knit an iPod sock? And if anyone has any links, that'd be great!  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:15 am
There are really easy patterns out there. I made mine up off the top of my head and it was super easy. All you really have to do is make a rectangle about an inch longer than twice the length of the iPod, and sew it up.
You can even so it up so that it has a flap, or is just like a sock.
And do you know how to do ribbing? Like K1xP1? That'll make it fit better.

Sorry if that's a lot of info to take in at once. biggrin  

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200

CAPTAIN Plixy[Stix]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:55 pm
Thanks!

And no... I don't know how to do ribbing. x__x;  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:52 pm
If you can both knit and purl, you can do ribbing. For a simple ribbing, on an even number of stitches work (knit 1, purl 1) all the way across. For a deeper (more squishy and elastic) ribbing, you can do more like stitches together (like knit 2 purl 2, or knit 3 purl 3). Ribbings are usually abbreviated as the number of knit stitches by the number of purl stitches, so a knit 1 purl 1 ribbing would be 1x1, and a knit three purl two ribbing would be 3x2, etc. Ribbing works because purl stitches stacked vertically want to curl one way and knit stitches stacked vertically want to curl the other. You can also use these properties to do welting, which is a number of rows of stockinette stitch, then a number of rows of reverse stockinette. The reverse stockinette will curl top and bottom away from you, and the regular stockinette will curl top and bottom towards you, to create something like a beehive shape. If you think about it, Garter stitch is actually 1x1 welting!  

Zahra Ovaci

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:14 am
when I first got my Ipod I knitted it a sock, out of what I thought were soft yarns, and it still scrached it.
so make shore what your knitting won't harm your music baby. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:31 pm

in SnB ther eis a crochet one but you can easliy convert that into knit, jsut do ribbing and a vinyle covering

Kanhoro

MicroMiniMuffins

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:45 pm
I made a friend of mine an iPod sock without taking ANY measurements and doing it off the top of my head. DON'T do that...<.<

Essentially, just rib until it's a little bit longer than your iPod and, unless using DPNs, until it's about double the width of your iPod. Then you just seam it up and KABOOM! IPOD SOCK!
And if you're using DPN's, which makes it so it doesn't have a seam on the side, just make rib until it's a little bit longer than your iPod, bind off and seam up the bottom.

Hope this helped a little... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:53 pm
It's really easy. Just Knit twice as long as your ipod fold it in have then stich up the side with a yarn needle. Just as easy as knitting a scarf.  

iWicked

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff