Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
What's the Phrase You Hate the Most Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xXblacksakuraXx

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:49 pm
For me, it's more certain words than phrases. But the phrase 'put upon' bothers me like hell.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:24 am
The most phrase I dislike to hear from my kid is, " wait a minute mom." It seems that's all she knows what to say. biggrin  

Shelton3369

Friendly Gaian

7,975 Points
  • Member 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Lacus_And_Kira

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:18 pm
Valley girl speak and Text talk bother me a lot.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:14 pm
limp d**k
"Do these elevators go up and down?"

That's just not thought through at all.

Did someone actually say that to you? If so, how did you function afterwards without killing this person, to save all of humanity from a possible malfunction of the brain, and all common sense with it. I simply died when I saw this post. It sounds like some people I know would say that  

Mrkurosakie

prosaic plastic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:49 pm
" My bad" oh lord it makes my skin crawl!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:40 am
Oh, were to start? Let's see, I really hate the phrase "oy vey". Why say it? It's meaning is almost that of a sigh. Why don't you just sigh instead of using this phrase that agitates the heck out of me!

The use of the word "delicious" makes my skin crawl. For the record...ANY word with the suffix '-icious' or '-isious' with or without the first 'I' or any variation of that (although I'm thinking the second one is a mispelling).

When people add 'lol', 'lawl', or 'XD' to the end of their sentence, it just seems so redundant. You made the joke or told the story, is it really nessesary for you to add that laughter goes there? Or even that you were laughing? It makes the person seem so concieted, that they would laugh at thier own joke. Come on people, we all know you are most certainly not sitting at your computer laughing out loud. And the use of 'XD'...well lets just say that it could send me into a murderous rampage.

And generally, most to not all Valley Girl talk, redneck, 'ghetto', and esecially chatspeak contain the words and phrases that just make me sigh and bang my head on the desk. I shall finish now, but lets not forget the most hated chatspeak of all...plzkthxbai!!!!111one!!!! Just kill me now so I will never see that phrase again...
wink  

darknessgal13

SilverBellsAbove

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:21 pm
I feel so dirty. I use a few of these in conversation, but never online or with people who don't take it as a joke. It's a running joke in my circle of friends how hated 'netspeek' is, so sometimes we advertise how annoying it is to regular users by belting 'ZOMG' out at random. It's funny and people laugh out loud (lol!) at how dumb it sounds.

But the phrase that peeves me? Um...

I'd have to say it's 'That's gay'.

scream

None of them are even trying to insinuate the idea that gay is bad in the conversation. All of them are just following one another and so they all chase their own tails in the process of stupidification (<- If this ever becomes a word, then I'll pay 100 bucks to Webster) and are none the wiser. Gay doesn't even mean what it originally meant anymore.

The same with 'Retarded'.

Give me my BB gun. I need to shoot something. Preferably something in my high school that lacks a brain...

Wait; that's pretty much everything. Darn it.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:57 pm
I hate when people use "pwn" as everyday language. My friends and I will say it when we're joking around, but one of my friends uses it all the time.  

j_hawk

Londo Mollari

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:46 pm
I cannot stand it when people as me, "What up?" It's even worse when it's followed by "b***h," "dawg," or any other inane drivel.

It also bothers me when people say "besides" when they mean "beside," "anyways" instead of "anyway," "towards" instead of "toward." I just want to grab their tongues so they can't make the extra "s" sound.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:48 pm
"Alot."

That's what bothers me the most. It's not "alot." It's "a lot."  

Fruity Kiyoki

Londo Mollari

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:05 pm
Fruity Kiyoki
"Alot."

That's what bothers me the most. It's not "alot." It's "a lot."

Oooh, I find myself making that mistake sometimes without realizing it. It's so embarrassing. Thankfully I usually catch it before it's too late. It's so easy to see other people making the mistake and gradually get used to it until you make it yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:17 pm
I don't know if someone has already said this...but I don't care.

I really hate when you ask someone to explain something to you and they keep saying, "Does this make sense?" No, you idiot, I just asked you to explain this to me for kicks. Duh. stare  

Kisa-tora

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces