Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
OMG its that bag! Tutorial!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:18 pm
Today class I am going to teach you all how to create this bag here
User Image

To start you need to decide what size you want it and create your pattern peices.
You want a front and a back,
two side
two top (a zipper seem alowance larger than the bottom
a bottom
a strap

Then you want all that agian in a lining fabric plus what pockets you want to use.
User Image
I didn't get a shot of the lining.

If you want to decorate the bag do it now.
User Image
I had to redo over the zigzags that hold that fabric bit on like four times by the end.

The first thing we are going to do is put the zipper in.
pin the right side of the fabric to the wrong side of the zipper and sew down the edge. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS
User Image

fold it over and sew down the edge again so its flat. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS
User Image
Do the same thing for the other side.

For the outer fabric put it right sides together and sew down the side with a seem alowance large endough to put a zipper in. Then sortof flatten it out.
User Image

Then lay it so the seem is over the zipper and sew down either side. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS. Unpick the stitches going down the middle (or you could leave the stitches in untill the end and it would probibly make attaching the top to the sides easier)
User Image

Make your straps (sorry I didn't get a photo) sew them to the sides. Sew all the side peices together. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS
User Image

Sew the bottom to the bottom leaving a great big hole. you are going to be turning things insideout through this.
User Image
Trim the corners.

Sew the top to the top being carefull not to sew through the lining fabric (wich is easy because you left a seem alowance)
User Image
Trim the corners.

Make your pockets for your lining. I chose to make elastic pockets.
User Image

Sew up your lining the same way, but sew it with larger seem alowances because your lining has to be a little smaller than your outer fabric. And leave an even larger hole in the bottom, you are going to use this to sew closed the hole in the bottom of the outer fabric.
User Image
Trim back your seem alowances.

Turn right side out by reaching in the inner bag, grabbing the zip, then pulling.
User Image

Sew closed the hole in the bottom of the outer by pulling it through the hole in the lining and sewing from the inside.
User Image

Sew closed the lining.
User Image

YOU ARE SO DAMN DONE!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:38 pm
~
I must say I really like how you've done the zipper. I would never have thought of doing that way.
~

Tes

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:30 pm
Tes
~
I must say I really like how you've done the zipper. I would never have thought of doing that way.
~
Well I must say that I have never spent money on a pattern and this was just the only way I could think of to do it.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:36 pm
Now, only if i knew how do us a sewing machine. That would make a really good present to one of my friends. Though learning how to use a sewing machine is on my things to do list.  

KingToon

DecemberFlower

2,000 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:38 am
Sewing machine!!! crying

I really need to start whining to the right people about this. lol  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:38 pm
lol
sewing machines is what aunties and grandmas are for.
just turn up with fabric and ask to use theirs  

I be me
Vice Captain

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:48 pm
very, very cool, thanks for posting this!!  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games