Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Tutorials
OMG its that bag! Tutorial!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 4:24 pm
Today class I am going to teach you all how to create this bag here
User Image

To start you need to decide what size you want it and create your pattern peices.
You want a front and a back,
two side
two top (a zipper seem alowance larger than the bottom
a bottom
a strap

Then you want all that agian in a lining fabric plus what pockets you want to use.
User Image
I didn't get a shot of the lining.

If you want to decorate the bag do it now.
User Image
I had to redo over the zigzags that hold that fabric bit on like four times by the end.

The first thing we are going to do is put the zipper in.
pin the right side of the fabric to the wrong side of the zipper and sew down the edge. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS
User Image

fold it over and sew down the edge again so its flat. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS
User Image
Do the same thing for the other side.

For the outer fabric put it right sides together and sew down the side with a seem alowance large endough to put a zipper in. Then sortof flatten it out.
User Image

Then lay it so the seem is over the zipper and sew down either side. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS. Unpick the stitches going down the middle (or you could leave the stitches in untill the end and it would probibly make attaching the top to the sides easier)
User Image

Make your straps (sorry I didn't get a photo) sew them to the sides. Sew all the side peices together. LEAVE A SEEM ALOWANCE AT THE ENDS
User Image

Sew the bottom to the bottom leaving a great big hole. you are going to be turning things insideout through this.
User Image
Trim the corners.

Sew the top to the top being carefull not to sew through the lining fabric (wich is easy because you left a seem alowance)
User Image
Trim the corners.

Make your pockets for your lining. I chose to make elastic pockets.
User Image

Sew up your lining the same way, but sew it with larger seem alowances because your lining has to be a little smaller than your outer fabric. And leave an even larger hole in the bottom, you are going to use this to sew closed the hole in the bottom of the outer fabric.
User Image
Trim back your seem alowances.

Turn right side out by reaching in the inner bag, grabbing the zip, then pulling.
User Image

Sew closed the hole in the bottom of the outer by pulling it through the hole in the lining and sewing from the inside.
User Image

Sew closed the lining.
User Image

YOU ARE SO DAMN DONE!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:05 pm
You are a goddess.

Two questions, though. Well, maybe three.

o1. What are the dimensions (in inches, preferably) of your bag? Like, the front and back are __x__ and the sides are __x__.. Yeah.

o2. How do you make pockets? Like not elasticky ones, just plain ones.

o3. How do you make the strap? And how long is it?

Thank you!!

<3

Victoria Piper

6,300 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Friendly 100
  • Citizen 200

I be me
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:15 pm
juiceostans
You are a goddess.

Two questions, though. Well, maybe three.

o1. What are the dimensions (in inches, preferably) of your bag? Like, the front and back are __x__ and the sides are __x__.. Yeah.

o2. How do you make pockets? Like not elasticky ones, just plain ones.

o3. How do you make the strap? And how long is it?

Thank you!!

<3
The bag was the same size as my sketchbook before seem allowances (aka I just riped pages out of my sketch book)
And I cut the side bits from pages of the sketch book and approximiated the size I wanted them to be and cut them all the same width.
And it all came out just large enough for me to put an A4 folder in the large elastic pocket (wich also helps it keep its shape)

There is a tutorial for pockets *searches* http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=8541.0 and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10066.0 and http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=11808.0

And the strap I made by sewing the two bits of fabric right sides together, turning inside out, then sewing down the edges.
and I made it as long as I wanted by testing the size by slinging it over my shoulder.

No I did not measure anything. Never do if I can help it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:25 pm

cools

Kanhoro

Rawr 112

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:12 am
I never find purse type objects that I like, but I like this one.
Shame I don't sew. xD Only knit.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:34 pm
I've been wanting to make a messenger bag for a while now, and i finally did it! Yea, however it was out of some flimsy fabric so as soon as I put something in it, it bulged so I had to put some card stock in it. The nice thing was, that when I emptied it I discovered a pack of gum inside my bag. Oh, and instead of doing a zipper, I decided to do a flap. If I was to remake it, I would change the dimensions on the flap before hand.

These were my dimensions before seam allowance

User Image

And here are the pictures of it, I don't think it turned out too bad, except after I made it, my dad said it looked like I was about ot dissappear into the forest. Sorry for the quality of pictures, my camera isn't the greatest. By the way that is my sister in the background of the first one, and I had no idea that she could be so quiet, I didn't notice her until after I looked at all of the pictures.

User Image

User Image  

~Viva~Per~Amore~

ellayaxP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:08 pm
omg!! i need to make one of these, they look so cute!!! heart  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:45 pm
I want to make this out of a rather heavy fabric, for carrying books. What the least-heavy fabric I could get away with, for it to still be strong enough?  

bookaholic

Tutorials

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff