Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Natsuri Teaches Typing Good Sentences

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Was this topic helpful?
  Yes, it was very informative.
  No. Thanks for the info, though.
  SCRAW U THIS PEIcE Of JUNK Do3SNT DESERvE 2 B HeR31!!111! OMG WTF
  Poll Whores, click here!
View Results

Natsuri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:39 pm
Lesson Example

I know, since everyone is educated and mature, I assume you'll probably scoff at me and call me foolish for bringing up a lecture like this, mates. But I feel like liberating my inner sage and I will run though this stuff here, inspired by this thread above.

First lesson: Excess capitalization, like in all-caps typing.

Random Typer Man
you know what i'm going to keep the picture on here for alittle bit because i want to read other peoples responses to this picture. BTW I PROMISE I WILL DELETE THIS PICTURE FROM THE POST. PLEASE DON'T KICK ME OUT OF THIS FORUM SITE PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FORGIVE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is your typical desperate writer. He shows an utter disregard of capitalization, punctuation, and grammar. The only thing correct is the spelling.

Random Typer Man
(THIS IS AN EXAMPLE)

Don't do that. Instead, type like this:

Random Typer Man
(This is a better example)

What's wrong with typing with all caps? Glad you asked.

It implies that you're yelling. Think of forum chatting as talking to a whole bunch of people in a room. You wouldn't, in the greatest sense, yell over at all the people. It is deemed appropriate that you give courtesy by respecting the atmosphere.

In other words, typing in all caps is equated with yelling.

And here's the second lesson, a basic run-though on basic English stuff you should've learned even in kindergarten.

Next lesson, examples of common sentence errors

Random Typer Man
im sorry , how do i delete the picture out of this post

Random Typer Man
everybody i am really really sorry for this, i knew something like this was going to happen because when i usually post something , people don't like it at all. And i also apoligize for typing in all-caps , but come on whats wrong with typing in all-caps.

Okay, even when not garbled, your average sentence can still be an agonizing eyesore. There is a lack of proper capitalization and punctuation. The spelling is, of course, correct. If anyone sees a mistake that I may have missed, kudos to you. whee

Random Typer Man
i saw a cat.

This is the same case as last example, but you're one correction short. Either the writer forgot to capitalize his/her "I's", or is too lazy to do so. It's not too bad; you're just forgetting the capital "I." All spelling and punctuation are correct.

Random Typer Man
I saw a cat and a dog.

This is a perfect example of correct typing, both grammatically, structurally, and spelling-wise, correct. All well-taught and literate Gaians should be following this example.

Random Typer Man
OMFG, I SAW A HIPPO PEELING POTATOES!!!!!

This is what you shouldn't do. As you know, this is capitalization that is woefully unnecessary.

Advanced Final Lesson: The Mother of All Errors

And finally, for you text-talk fanatics, you're in for a rude awakening. twisted

Random Typer Man
I W3NT DUMPSTeR-DIvINg 2dAY AND It WAS FUN!!!!11 WTf LOL

Random Typer Man
i W3||T 2 /-RZ R0K C0||c3rT WIT]/[/-]-[F/-\/0Ri3T B/-||d /-||D I g0T /-|| /-u2GR/-P]-[1!!!!! 0]/[G WtF

Now this is, undoubtedly, the worst possible examples I can give you yet, mate. It is the ultimate horror of horrors for even sane and sensible souls like yourselves to bear, for as if these sentences alone are riddled with horrible errors that are either barely legible or by no means understandable. The first example is normal text talk. Example Two is full-blown, super-retarded n00bish mode. twisted Not counting excessive emoticons.

And that's the end of the lesson. Any questions or comments? question  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:11 pm
I have a question:

Why was this posted here?  

The Man who was Thursday

Munia

Friendly Gaian

11,950 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Firestarter 200
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:19 pm
Natsuri

Next lesson, examples of common sentence errors

Random Typer Man
everybody i am really really sorry for this, i knew something like this was going to happen because when i usually post something , people don't like it at all. And i also apoligize for typing in all-caps , but come on whats wrong with typing in all-caps.

Okay, even when not garbled, your average sentence can still be an agonizing eyesore. There is a lack of proper capitalization and punctuation. The spelling is, of course, correct. If anyone sees a mistake that I may have missed, kudos to you. whee

Apoligize --> apologize
Whats --> What's

Kudos to me. whee xd  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:52 pm
I entirely agree with your opinion. It is very inappropiate to use punction when it is not necessary. Perhaps a person only needs to take more consideration towards their speech to identify their error (oh, and by the way, we're in the same guild).  

Sweet Blushes

Natsuri

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:32 am
nancyly
I entirely agree with your opinion. It is very inappropriate to use punction when it is not necessary. Perhaps a person only needs to take more consideration towards their speech to identify their error (oh, and by the way, we're in the same guild).

You mean punctuation? Right here in the examples, I point out common errors from the forums. Just a point of interest. And as for another user:

Munia
Apoligize --> apologize
Whats --> What's

Kudos to me. whee xd

Congratulations! You've found the error in the example! You get a cookie. whee  
Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games