Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
knitting or crocheting with plastic bags

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

hyper_azn_girl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:31 am
have you guys ever tried knitting or crocheting with plastic bags? i have once, but it didn't turn out well. If you have knitted or chorcheted wtih plastic bags, what did you make out of it?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:06 am
I've heard that if you knit a bag out of them, you can use it as a reusable grocery bag, but ive never tried sweatdrop  

gemini6184

Tes

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:32 pm
~
I am nearly finished a bag actually. I will probably unravel it and start again, some of the bags decided to throw a major kink in the affair, being that even though it's hard to tell they are thicker when I was cutting them, when I crochetted them up they were huge and lumpy and deformed. I will just take those links out and start again. The rest looks fabulous.
It comes together really fast.

~

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:16 pm
my grandma has a waterbottle holder made out of plastic bags. It keeps her drinks colder and they are easy to wash  

hyper_azn_girl

Silvander

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:06 pm
At an anime con I was at, we had a ghetto harry potter cosplay contest, and one girl had a school scarf made of plastic bags. It was fascinating watching her finish the last bit before the contest.

I myself have never done it. It looks really cool when it comes together tho!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:22 am
I want to learn how to make one. If someone could put a link to a pattern on here then that would be super kewlio!  

kahtiXfishie

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:57 pm
as long as you find bags that don;t tear easily it's just like working with strips of fabric.

In my college there was a costuming class and one of the projects was a "creativity excercize" where you had to design and create a costume completely out of materials that were not fabric. One girl made a ballroom gown completely out of safeway bags, with crocheted edging - so it can work if you have the gumption and patience for it.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:30 pm

you know those plastic bags osme people get intheir newspaper? well i took one to school one day and durign study hall i tooki it out and cutted it into strips and tied the ends, it was very difficult to handle bc it sticked everywhere but when i knitteied in st st, it was prety smooth, not what i expected lol, but kinda fragile should have done doubel strand knitting, you can use this type of matrial medium to make stuff that you need waterproff liek stuf fint eh shower or the pool just make it more thicker so it wont strech and break. bc you cant really sew it back together if you rip it depending on the situation XD

Kanhoro

Rosie the Riviter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:42 am
over the summer I became facinated with the unyarnly ways to knit items. I tried the plastic bag idea and it didn't pan out very well. I also found a pretty tablecloth for $2 and tried it. My conclusion is that it was too troublesome to cut it into strips and connect them. So now I have several balls of tablecloth and plasticbags and no clue what to do with them. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:18 pm
You can crochet w/ a plastic baggie? I should try that one of these days....  

RocknRollDragon

Zahra Ovaci

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:22 pm
Did you cut each bag into many short strips, or one long one?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:04 pm
which way do you guys cute teh yarn

I have heard of two ways
there is one where you cut the bags directly across so you have a bunch of loops that you connect together
there's another way where you cut at a 30 degree angle and just go around and around the bag until you reach the end  

hyper_azn_girl

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff