Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Somewhere, J.R.R. Tolkien's soul just had a heart attack. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

darkrose_eve

1,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:28 pm
I weant to Fanfiction.net and I got lost. All I saw was bad fanfiction, am I looking in the wrong places?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:52 pm
Don't lose hope; Fanfiction dot net is indeed a cesspool of badfics in some areas...

Just dig until you find something good. You may have to search a million stories. It's a 'needle in a haystack' situation.

It's my mission to add a few more needles, if you know what I mean. whee  

SilverBellsAbove

xXblacksakuraXx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:39 pm
Once I found a very interesting piece with Sherlock Holmes and Mary Sues. It was very cleverly done, and Watson called them all 'Helens' which I found very amusing. ^>^

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2886197/1/  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:22 pm
Ha! That is an amazing story: one of the true jewels that I love to find!

Thank you! You made one fanfictionista a very happy little girl today!  

SilverBellsAbove

AnonymousNemonus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:44 am
Sues form when teenage authors use fanfic to fulfill their wishes, which are obviously of being the heroine, getting the Man/Elf of their choice, and having a perfect complexion. They stick in bad memories or 'dark' choices like vampirism too, I'm not sure why, either to make their Sue sound less perfect or to fulfill the emotion-hunger that starts the whole thing, or because of human Fallenness.

I don't like Sues. But you know, I don't read them. On places like fanfic.net it's open to all kinds of authors, excellent ones and bad ones. I think the greatest insult someone can give a Sue is ignoring it. (That's right, they're its.) If a character is on the verge of being Sue and isn't quite, then you nicely tell the author how to fix it.

Mind you, I've never written LotR fic; I write Star Wars fic and find the same problem. Naruto too, I'm sure, as someone mentioned. I think this proves that it's part of an immature stage of writer/human development. I can't know to say that anyone who writes Sues won't grow up to be a good writer, but I doubt that they will because Sues are about being selfish, not giving oneself to the plot of the story. (P.S. There are a lot worse places that Fanfic.net, places which could count as shrines to the terrible god Mary Sue. Google the Estrogen Brigades if you're brave or crazy enough. This also brings up the subject of fangirls--now these I hate. The two can be connected with a simple equation: fangirls write Suefic.)

Metafic stories where Sues are killed in various ways are hilarious. The best one I've read is called Protectors of the Plot Continuum and can be found on fanfic.net.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:59 am
The worst thing is that 99% of the authoresses who write Mary Sues have the worst grammar, spelling and punctuation ever. Then they beg for reviews and say, "OMGZ!!!11 lyk, no flamin plz, ok my story iz lyk realy gud so ya!1 kthxbai!!111"
Hahahaha! Sweetie, do not beg me not to flame you with grammar like that.
You should see the Harry Potter section of ff.net. The number of Mary Sue OCs in there... Gah! I once found a Mary Sue from Japan with pink hair and fox ears who was Ron's girlfriend. Her name was Kitsune and she ran around yelling, "Omg! kawaii neko kitsune-sama!!!! ^_^ *Sparkly eyes*" and other various Japanese phrases uttered by anime fangirls. If I knew Japanese, I would have probably flamed the authoress' Japanese as well.

yourr
u don't know how important txt talk is 2 ppl...

OK, how did this earthworm crawl into this guild? confused

SilverMaple

Sparkly Lover

AnonymousNemonus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:36 am
SilverMaple
"Omg! kawaii neko kitsune-sama!!!! ^_^ *Sparkly eyes*"

That doesn't make any sense!

Yeah, HP's an infected one too.

If you like a "needle" fic on FFN, go to that person's favorites and/or favorite authors. Goodfic sticks together. There is some out there, btw.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:02 pm
SilverMaple
Her name was Kitsune and she ran around yelling, "Omg! kawaii neko kitsune-sama!!!! ^_^ *Sparkly eyes*" and other various Japanese phrases uttered by anime fangirls. If I knew Japanese, I would have probably flamed the authoress' Japanese as well.

Feel free to flame; that Japanese really didn't make sense.

Translation (rough): Oh my god! Cute cat Lord/Lady Kitsune!!!!

Since I have no punctuation to go by with the romanji, I can only provide you with bare words. Well, -sama isn't quite Lord/Lady directly, but it's used to address an individual of higher social status.

Still, it was nonsensical.  

xAvenirYuinax

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:12 am
baby~cak3s
u don't know how important txt talk is 2 ppl...

How did you get in here?! scream  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:50 pm
You have got to give me the link to that story- I must witness the horror myself! Haha. God, I have had so many encounters with 'Mary-Sue' it has made me tell my sister (who's cool "Don't make the character a 'Mary-Sue'!" she replies, "It's a book report, dummy.". Yes, odd mesures, but the horrible-ness of Mary-Sue must not spread into the worlds' youth!  

Chasmothyst

Shirtless Lunatic

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas