Welcome to Gaia! ::

The FIRST Shojo Beat Guild

Back to Guilds

Come visit us at The Shojo Beat Guild and talk about everything the magazine has to offer: Manga, Artists, J-music, and more!!! 

Tags: Shojo, Beat, Magazine, Tankoban, Girls 

Reply .: Listen up :: Music Forum :.
~Yoko Kanno~

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ever heard of Yoko Kanno?
  She's amazing!
  Hate her.
  She's alright.
  Never heard of her before this.
View Results

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:40 pm
Yoko Kanno

User Image

:Table of Contents:

Biography
Samples
Discography
News
Link List

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:41 pm
Biography

Composer of music from anime titles such as Macross Plus & Vision of Escaflowne, as well as game music for Koei, Ms. Kanno is known worldwide for her moving and adventurous orchestral, jazz and experimental works.

Yoko Kanno was born May 19th in Miyagi Prefecture, Japan. She made her debut as a keyboardist in the band TETSU100%

Prominence in piano was Kanno's fortè for Japanese TV Dramas "High School Teacher", "Somebody Loves Her"", "Unpainted Face" and other TV presentations such as an NHK special, "The Reformation and Liberation of One Billion Chinese". Ms. Kanno has even graced television commercials: music for a Japanese Coca-Cola Commercial, as well as others (NTT Burutta, Georgia Coffee, etc.)

Yoko Kanno is well known for her music productions in the anime arena. In the net newgroup rec.arts.anime.music there have been endless requests for Kanno's works. From pleas for the sheet music to Cowboy Bebop or questions about her identity and that of "Gabriela Robin", her music is appreciated by anime enthusiasts and musicians alike.

Some may be mislead that Yoko Kanno is responsible for "the whole soundtrack". This is not necessarily the case. In fact, it seems almost apparent that she and two other musicians: Hajime Mizoguchi and Akino Arai, cross paths frequently. Mizoguchi was responsible for composing most of the "Please Save My Earth" soundtracks, and Arai has composed several songs but has mostly performed vocals for many of Kanno's works such as the ever-so-famous "Voices" and seemingly exotic "Idol Talk". Furthermore, Mai Yamane has been a strong presence in Kanno's more recent "Cowboy Bebop" soundtracks.

As of late, Kanno's team seems to be that of Steve Conte, Tim Jensen and Scott Matthews. They are featured in the Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex and Wolf's Rain original soundtracks.

Mrs. Kanno has attended anime and comic conventions in the past year, including Anime Expo (99) and Otakon.

Thanks to the The Yoko Kanno Project.

kel aka gandy
Captain

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:43 pm
Samples

Tank!
living inside the shell
Cowboy Bebop Movie Intro
Please Save My Earth Ending

Note that most of Yoko Kanno's works are composed by her; She does not generally do her own vocals.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:44 pm
Discography

For the moment I'm going to refer you to The Yoko Kanno Project - Discography, until I can get all her works sorted.

kel aka gandy
Captain

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:45 pm
News

None at the moment.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:46 pm

kel aka gandy
Captain

kel aka gandy
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:48 pm
~Reserved~

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:50 pm
~Reserved~

kel aka gandy
Captain

Rainbows+Unicorns
Vice Captain

Chatty Fatcat

5,350 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:25 pm
.: ☆★♪★☆ :: 悲しみの向こう川の岸に...

Kanno is completely Amazing!

...Nothing of Sorrow like this on a river bank :: ☆★♪★☆ :.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:06 pm
Rainbows+Unicorns
.: ☆★♪★☆ :: 悲しみの向こう川の岸に...

Kanno is completely Amazing!

...Nothing of Sorrow like this on a river bank :: ☆★♪★☆ :.

I know..she's so awesome! You hear her stuff and it's like eek .

kel aka gandy
Captain

Ophelianime

Chatty Dabbler

8,550 Points
  • Inquisitor 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Popular Thread 100
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:00 am
Didn't she sing Broken Wings from Trinity Blood? heart  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:38 pm
Ophelianime
Didn't she sing Broken Wings from Trinity Blood? heart

Nope, that was Tomoko Tane.

kel aka gandy
Captain

Utagoe

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:20 pm
Yoko Kanno is very accomplished. For me, I was introduced to her wonderful compositions by Maaya Sakamoto in Wolf's Rain. Those two artists usually collaborate to create lovely music and lyrics in Japanses and English.  
.: Listen up :: Music Forum :.

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games