Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knitting project - for a grandmother

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
  Forty-two
  Avogadro's number
  Is it an African or a European woodchuck? ;)
  I dunno, how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?
View Results

Beboots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:22 pm
So I've got about half a dozen projects on the kneedles, plus grade twelve and work (and y'know, life) to handle, and my mum has a great idea for me; knit something for her mother for her birthday. Now, grandma lives in England (I'm all the way over in Canada), so I have to make something and have it finnished mid-march-ish. I have no idea what to make! I really like making socks, but I'm pretty sure that won't work out (don't know her shoe-size, for one -_-; ).
I'm thinking a scarf - something that can be knit on big needles. I need ideas! I'm open to simple cable patterns (something complicated would hurt my brain, plus take longer to knit). I've just begun a wonderful pair of stockings that I want to work on, but I'm obligated to make something... neutral Ideas? Suggestions of cable patterns?  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:00 pm
Beboots
So I've got about half a dozen projects on the kneedles, plus grade twelve and work (and y'know, life) to handle, and my mum has a great idea for me; knit something for her mother for her birthday. Now, grandma lives in England (I'm all the way over in Canada), so I have to make something and have it finnished mid-march-ish. I have no idea what to make! I really like making socks, but I'm pretty sure that won't work out (don't know her shoe-size, for one -_-; ).
I'm thinking a scarf - something that can be knit on big needles. I need ideas! I'm open to simple cable patterns (something complicated would hurt my brain, plus take longer to knit). I've just begun a wonderful pair of stockings that I want to work on, but I'm obligated to make something... neutral Ideas? Suggestions of cable patterns?

I don't know what kind of grandma she is, but maybe a large guage shawl? Mittens? Felted bag? I'm always a fan of making hats, but some people don't ever wear them.  

Catcheen
Crew

gemini6184

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:40 pm
My mother's pulled this one on me before. If you don't wanna do it right now, just politely suggest that you wait til next year, or til Christmas, because you need time to find the perfect pattern.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:50 pm
I personally like this one. It knits up really quickly (you could probably do it in a weekend) and it's lacy and feminine without being complicated to do. I used the Lion Brand Jiffy Yarn (in Clearwater... unfortunately discontinued), but it came out SUPER pretty! 3nodding  

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

AriRashkae

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:33 am
Elf, you forgot the pattern! wink

You could try a Mobius scarf. You get to twists the stitches on your circular on purpose.

My aunt also had a nice scarf that she did on largish needles. Cast on 36 sts, knit in garter stitch, and ever other row (the evens) knit in the front and back of every stitch, so you double the stitches. Do it about 3-4 times, depending on how you like the size.

Looks great with fuzzy yarn. heart  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:53 pm
AriRashkae
Elf, you forgot the pattern! wink
gonk !!!!!
Cross-over Scarf

Peppermint Elf

Moonlight Warrior

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:30 pm
I would back you up on the simple and unfitted. A scarf is probably a great choice, something a little nicer than just a strip of knitting. Then when you get a bit more time you can ask your grandma for things like her shoe size - or even better you can let her pick out a pattern so you'll know it'll be a wrap/sock/shawl/sweater/whatever she likes.

As for scarves, I'll suggest: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html

I love this one because it's lovely in alot of different yarns, fairly simple, and still looks like you spent alot of time on it even though it's quite easy.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:09 pm
When i was trying to figure out what to knit for my grandmother (since i can't give something to my grandpa and not my grandma, esspecially since my grandpa married into the family not long ago, and my grandma has always been my grandma) i used this yarn, which calls for size 7/8 needles. I used size 10, garter stitch, with crocheted ends and tassles. It cost me a fair bundle of money - like $35. Compared to my grandfather's $12, needles included.....

If your grandma's anything like my grandma, make sure you get something that feels good and comes in a pretty color.

For my auntie, i used bernat boucle, and knit it up on speed stix. I did something like 30 stitches, and simply knit till i ran out of yarn. My auntie uses it in bed while she's reading to keep her shoulders warm and she also uses it as a scarf, as it bunches up nicely. I finished her wrap/scarf in a day.

This being said... If my mommy asked me to make something for a relitive, i'd ask her how much she was paying ontop of materials, since i normally make gifts for family anyways. If you can't find somethign fairly quickly, tell her you'll make her something for christmas, but perhaps this gift should be bought.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Beboots

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:31 pm
YourAzureGoddess
I would back you up on the simple and unfitted. A scarf is probably a great choice, something a little nicer than just a strip of knitting. Then when you get a bit more time you can ask your grandma for things like her shoe size - or even better you can let her pick out a pattern so you'll know it'll be a wrap/sock/shawl/sweater/whatever she likes.

As for scarves, I'll suggest: http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/PATTbranchingout.html

I love this one because it's lovely in alot of different yarns, fairly simple, and still looks like you spent alot of time on it even though it's quite easy.

Oooh... This one looks interesting! I think I'm up for the challenge. I'll probably have to make a special trip to the yarn store to find some suitable wool, though...

Thank you everyone! mrgreen You're all such wonderful people!  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:27 pm
My grandmother is always impressed with lace. I made her an intricate doily (crocheted) for Mother's day one year and she still has it displayed prominantly in her home.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces