66%
 66%  [ 2 ]
no
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 3

xX x0mbie Xx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:36 am
yeah caz i was thinking we can organize a monthly meetup type thing where people in the T.O area can all meet up and hang out for fun, get to know one another meet some new people etc...

but first i just need to know how many of you are actually in the Toronto area so i can see if this is really worth doing or not

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:34 pm
I was in Toronto three days ago... I bought 15 CD's at Sonic Boom. Great independent record store.  

GilAskan
Crew

lurichan
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:21 pm
Somewhere in my mind the giant Neon sign that says "Bad Idea" Is flashing brightly.

Now hear me out here. Posting your general location in a public forum, not too bad as long as you don't give out too many details, however meeting people you know from the internet is generally a really bad thing to do without quite a bit of getting to know one another, and perhaps even a phone call. That still doesn't mean it's a safe 100% shot that people are being honest with you, and when meeting people, it's necessary to bring friends with you to ensure your own safty.

Now... to encourage meeting people from the internet without taking any precautions in regards to personal safety does go against this. In a perfect utopian world we could believe everything said by others online, but in this world there are 30+ old men looking to have sexual relationships with 12~15 year olds. It's on Dateline all the time. The "To Catch A Predator" specials have become almost a staple to the show itself and it reminds me that even though you might think you know the person on the other side of the screen, that isn't always the case. Predators prowl the internet just like anywhere else... and it's easier to lie to people from the other side of a computer screen.

As such.. I'm going to have to rule that threads about meeting IRL are inappropriate. Decissions to meet with one another in a real life setting should be set up via PM to keep all members safe, and I would STRONGLY urge people to only do so after an extensive getting to know one another period, proper precautions, etc. The LAST thing I want is for anyone in this guild to be harmed in any way due to negligence on my part.

Yes, I know I'm sounding like an overreactive parent at this point. I know it sounds like a bit of a downer, and perhaps that I'm just being too strict, but we live in an unsafe world. The anonymity of the internet is a power tool, but like any tool it can be used against you just as easily if you aren't careful. I lucked out... the person on the other end was who they said they were for better or worse, but I still had my parents with me. Not so many teens are so lucky... and a lot of them end up preyed upon in one way or another.  
~ Main Forum ~

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games