Submit

JapaneseChick813
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:24 am
User Image

Toshimitsu "Toshi" Deyama (出山利三, Deyama Toshimitsu?) – Vocals
Hideto "Hide" Matsumoto (松本秀人 Matsumoto Hideto) – Lead guitar(until 199 cool
Tomoaki "Pata" Ishizuka (石塚智昭 Ishizuka Tomoaki) – Rhythm guitar
Hiroshi "Heath" Morie (森江博 Morie Hiroshi) – Bass (from 1992)
Yoshiki Hayashi (林佳樹 Hayashi Yoshiki) – Drums and piano
Taiji Sawada (沢田泰司 Sawada Taiji) – Bass (until 1992)

X was the first Visual Kei band to perform in Tokyo Dome three nights in a row when every single ticket had been sold. Before, Buck Tick had held the record, though they were only sold out for one performance in Tokyo Dome.

The idea behind the band was, basically, to do anything which would shock the audience. At the time, their motto was "Psychedelic Violence - Crime of Visual Shock." This means that X Japan are seen as the forefathers of Visual Kei, although before them there were bands which pursued a similar concept. However, none of these bands could live up to the success of X Japan.

The band began with the music style of pure heavy metal, very typical of the 1980s! On the other hand, the band also played a lot of ballads. Most of these ballads were very piano-heavy, and played by the drummer/pianist Yoshiki. It was one of these ballads which eventually caused X Japan's breakthrough as one of the most famous bands in Japanese music - Art of Life, which is 28 minutes and 59 seconds long.

Over the years, the band's style changed, diverting away from Visual Kei. X Japan's music became much more varied, and with that Yoshiki's true talents shone through much more easily.

BIOGRAPHY
It was way back in 1980 that Yoshiki and Toshi (two childhood friends) formed a band known as Noise. Two years later, they changed their name to X and began their ascension into rock history. They began by performing at clubs and such with the help of random musicians, gathering quite the underground following in the process. They eventually had tracks on certain rock compilations, which only helped to expand their already-growing fan base. In 1987, they recruited hide, Pata and Taiji to complete their line-up and make it official.

The boys were a crowd favorite, but still couldn’t find a record label interested in their music. Believing in her son’s abilities, Yoshiki’s mom sold the family business and gave him the money. He created Extasy Records and released Vanishing Vision, X’s first official album. It made a large impact on the metal scene, but failed to grab Japan’s attention. “Violent” music wasn’t what the country wanted to hear. However, the metal heads were so into it that Sony Records Japan took notice and gave the quintet a record deal.

Blue Blood was soon released and became a runaway hit. Songs like Weekend and Endless Rain swept the nation off its feet and gave the band the boost they needed. X was everywhere. Non-stop radio play, amazing record sales and an over saturation of TV interviews were all it took to make X one of the most successful bands in Japanese history. Their national tours sold-out almost instantaneously and they became the first band in history to play the Tokyo Dome three nights in a row.

Needless to say, their following album, Jealousy blew expected record sales away. Unfortunately, all the success in the world couldn’t keep Taiji interested in the band. He left in 1992 and was replaced by Heath, who made fans relatively quickly. The band later switched to a different label, in hopes of reaching out overseas. However, the discovery of another band named X forced Yoshiki to change the band’s name to X Japan to avoid copyright issues.

The first release under the new name was 1994’s Art of Life, a 29 minute album made famous for one reason: it contained only one track! The epic song delighted audiences and shot all the way to first place on the Japanese charts during its release. It has only been performed live once, caught on tape and released as ART OF LIFE 1993.12.31 TOKYO DOME.

1996 came around and X Japan released its final album: Dahlia. However, most of it had been available as singles released between 1992 and 1996. The only reason it took so long to compile them into an album is that Yoshiki was (and still is) a perfectionist. His motto is simple: “Everything I create has to be perfect.” This, however, led to some problems within X Japan.

It was in April 1997 that Toshi left the band. No one knows why to this day, although speculation claims that his marriage led him to join a sect of spiritualists that changed his way of thinking. Whatever the reason may be, fans around the world have had a hard time forgiving him for his departure. Soon afterwards, X Japan announced its disbandment. Their final concert took place at the Tokyo Dome on December 31st, 1997, forever immortalized on video as The Last Live. An emotional concert to say the least, it is where fans said farewell to the legendary band.

Rumor has it that hide and Yoshiki were planning on eventually resurrecting the band with a new singer, but that never happened seeing as hide died tragically in May of 1998. His death shocked the entire nation and reunited X Japan for one final performance: Forever Love, sung as a farewell at his funeral.

X Japan’s material continues to sell extremely well to this day, almost ten years after their disbandment. Regarded as legends, their impact on the Japanese music scene can still be felt today through Visual Kei bands and their unique looks. However, to X fans, the style will forever be known as the art of “Psychedelic Violence and Crime of Visual Shock.”

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:33 am
A teeny change... Hideto, lead guitarist until... Until 2nd May, 1998... *runs away sobbing*

Yes, I'm a diehard fangirl.

Just yesterday, I was pondering... Will X be X without hide? Of course, it will be X, but it won't be the same X... Will it? Or am I just too oldfashioned and fangirly?

And another change that's gotta be made... The h in hide is not supposed to be capitalized. n__n  

h8 i plz

xXAbyssal.DemonXx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:08 am
...-yawn-
Isn't Yoshiki startin a project with Gackt and SUIGIZO soon...
you know...Violet UK?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:21 am
Haven't heard of it..Is he?

I absolutely adore X Japan!
I think my favorite song by them is Tears...It's so sad crying

Doko ni yukeba ii, anata to hanarete...*sings*  

Namida89

PinkuHoshi

7,200 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:42 am
X Japan is a classic, who wouldn't love them?!?! blaugh  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:06 pm
xXAbyssal.DemonXx
...-yawn-
Isn't Yoshiki startin a project with Gackt and SUIGIZO soon...
you know...Violet UK?

Actually, Violet UK is a project that Yoshiki has been working on for about 10 years now. Violet Uk is comprised of female vocalists, and from what I have heard of the music thus far, they are awesome.

The Super Band you mention thus far has Yoshiki, Gackt and Sugizo, and supposedly Gackt and Sugizo will be (or may have already done so this weekend) in L.A. to see Yoshiki, along with a mystery person that Yoshiki said he cannot name yet. Of course, we all suspect that it is Miyavi.

Another bit of news is that all surviving members of X Japan have been approached about a possible reunion. Yoshiki and Toshi finally spoke to each other, toward the end of last year, after not speaking to each other since hide's death.

Yoshiki is very torn up about this reunion talk and from how he sounded, it appears he is unsure about what he should do. He had fallen into a deep depression after the band's break up and hide's death, and even to this day, cannot watch X Japan's videos or listen to the music without crying.

Sorry for the ramble there, but I hope that sort of clears things up for you. biggrin  

Desperate_Angel

Dragoonsa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:08 pm
X Japan is the first time listening to jrock,
it was their Weekend song that raped my virgin ears XD
and from ther on i countinued listening them =3
love 'em 4ever~ heart  
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:17 am
I think I'm going to cry again, even though I promised myself not to... Happy (or not so happy, in fact...) Hideto's memorial day. May he rest in peace... I was supposed to go to the graveyard, but... n__n;; It's raining... Hard. 'neways, next year to L.A, is it? Who's joining me on a crusade to L.A next May?

Do my purty eyes see Dragoonsa?  

h8 i plz

Dragoonsa

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:59 am
Sivistys

Do my purty eyes see Dragoonsa?

Hi hi =D  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:36 pm
X was the first band I got into.

-woo.. I posted.. guess who for got to see what guilds she was in XD--  

Sugar Thief

bakaberry818

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:45 pm
arent they supposed to be coming out with new stuff  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:21 pm
hide!!! -cries- I miss him I will always and forever be an X Japan fan  

Jesse AnnxX

kitsung

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:47 pm
bakaberry818

accually I don't think so... I mean HIDE died.. T.T  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:32 pm
kitsung
bakaberry818

accually I don't think so... I mean HIDE died.. T.T
DON'T REMIND ME!!!!!! I've been crying for awhile now for remembering that. ((and I'm serious))  

Jesse AnnxX

Music

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff