Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Craft-Related Injuries, Anyone? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

caffinated_tulip

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 6:45 pm
I've had a number of blisters and calluses from extended crocheting and knitting. I've stabbed myself with my knitting needles on numerous occasions... they stick out of the side of my crocheted purse.

my worst by far was the first time I used a surger. It was while I was in middle school. I surged the side of my hand... It hurt like a b***h but once the shock set in it looked fairly cool...  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 9:59 am
This happened maybe three weeks ago to one of my friends. We were putting the finishing touches on some costumes and she was putting in a zipper. Personally, I find zipper feet kind of scary as there isn't really anything between your finger and the needle, but have thankfully never hurt myself so far (knock on wood). My friend ended up getting the needle right through her fingernail and the needle ended up bouncing off her bone (as could be seen in the x-rays). It was also final dress, but it was put on hold for an hour or two so we could get her to the hospital and get the needle removed. She was in so much pain when they pulled the needle out (and it was bent eek ) that she ended up going home and we had to call in a back up dresser for that night. But she had also refused to go home until she got back and put the zipper in correctally.  

Lexi Marie

fourstrings

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:50 am
Oh boyyyy.
I'm seriously accident prone, I get hurt doing everything.
Craft related, i've only had several incidents with the sewing machine where I don't pay attantion or something and end up getting my fingers in it. You'd think I'd learn the first time, but nope.  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:29 pm
I frequently stab myself with needles - often in the little area of skin just under the fingernail, where it joins into the front of the finger.  

ladyleprechaun13

Caitiebear

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:29 pm
I've had my fair share. Here are my doozies.

I was sealing milk cartons together (yes, sealing milk cartons) to be the underside of a boat that a few friends of mine and I were making for a milk carton boat derby. It was an EXTREMELY old hot glue gun that got REALLY hot. The stick that I was using was almost gone, so I was putting in a new one, not realizing that part of the old one was still in the metal part of the gun that you cannot see. Well, you can guess what happened next. RIGHT on my leg the hot glue went. It sat there, I think until it was cooled because everyone was so afraid to take it out and I was just sitting there repeating, "Get it off! Get it off!" So I now have this neat looking heart-shaped scar from it that I've had now for a little over 10 years. It STILL doesn't have any feeling in it. I think it might have been a third degree burn. I was lucky I didn't need a skin graft for that one...

The second one was when I was in high school and I was in art class doing stained glass, which, needless to say, I haven't done since. Well, I had seen the teacher a couple of times pick up a pane of glass with one hand and be perfectly fine. Well, when I tried it, I managed to slice EVERY SINGLE FINGER ON MY HAND. I had a swim meet that afternoon, so you can just imagine how that felt.

Yeah, I'm a little accident prone. smile  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:38 pm
So far only the glue gun glue on my left index finger, luckily my dad stopped me from trying to pull it off with the uninjured hand. We iced it the peeld it off. not to bad, minor blister. fingers have been stabbed to countless needles, I think they're use to it now. And a few weeks ago I stuck a knitting needle in my hair, thinking that my daughter will leave it alone up there... Nope, she yanked it out and was flailing it around, in my attempt to take it from her I was gouged in the lower eyelid, lucky it wasn't my eye, even luckier it was a US size 11 so the point wasn't all that pointy. Needless to say that hurt quite badly.  

Silver Sunrise

Mildred Pierce

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:26 am
Ouch! That sounds really, really painful. I hate having to pull out needles (or cactus spikes) out of my skin. I really hate that feeling.

My knitting needles always give me a little circular bruise on my thumb because I'm always pushing down the yarn and using the needles. And one time friction between my yarn and my hands on a circular needle gave me a callous. I had to wear a bandaid whenever I knit for the next few days.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:29 pm
I just got into crafting, and the most I've done is jab my fingers countless times with my knitting needles because my stiches were to tight! They jab underneath my nail. It hurts when happens 10 times within the last five minutes....yeah, it happens minute after minute each time... sweatdrop  

nax is back

KiwiDragon

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:22 pm
Aside from the needle pokes, the worst injuries I've sustained are supergluing a pice of plastic to my finger (nail polish remover to the rescue) and I once stapled my finger trying some paper crafts. That was a horrible feeling...and then I had to take the staple out-I think that was worse!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:57 am
I cut open my wrist on a broken glass bead. I now have a very emo looking scar emo

I've also done all the usual injuries involving scissors and needles.  

[Grendel]

Lexi Marie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:56 pm
My next injury story is going to sound really stupid on my part, and I will admit that it was. So at the moment my desk is not functioning due to the unearthly amounts of college junk that is on it (I just moved back a few weeks ago and its been crazy here, so it hasn't been put up yet). So I've set up my sewing machine on the floor, which is not as awkward as it sounds, its actually more comfortable than my desk. Anywho, I turned to grab something that was sitting behind me and I hit the pedel (which happens often). No biggie most of the time, as I move my foot once I hear it. Well, this time the zipper foot was on the machine and in the down position. Let me be the first to warn all of you craftsters, machine needles through your little toe (just the skin of my left little toe, luckily), hurt. It hurts a LOT! And my mom laughed at me for a good ten minutes before helping me bandage it up.

This also marks the first blood drawing of my machine.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:18 am
The only time I've hurt multiple people while crafting...

My friend requested a Renaissance style wedding dress, so I made her one. It is beautiful, but hot, and it's about 90 degrees here. After lunch yesteday, when we were doing the hem, and she was standing on a stool for the better part of an hour wearing heels, stockings, a crinoline, a corset and the dress, she suddenly faints, falling onto me, the hem gage, and the couch. Luckilly her mom was right there to rush foward and extract her from the dress and the corset, and the couch was there, so all she got was a twisted ankle and all I got was a bruise on my forehead where I got whacked by her elbow.

However, we didn't finish doing the hem until about 10:30 at night when it had cooled off by about 20 degrees.  

Blue-eyes-green

Craftin'

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces