Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
The Knitting Curse

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you believe the curse?
  Yes
  No
  That's just silly
  I'm doing the same thing!
  P0ll //l-l0R3!1!1!
View Results

Chaotic_Mind

4,700 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:23 pm
So a few days ago I was one the phone with my boyfriend and we had somehow come to the topic of the knitting curse.

Where if you knit a sweater for someone you like they won't understand it or if you knit a sweater for a boyfriend or girlfriend they'll break up with you just as you're finishing.

So apparently I'm knitting him a sweater, he believes he will never break up with me and he also wants to know if the curse is true.

I'm knitting the Skully sweater with worted yarn on size 10 needles, complete pattern modificatin, lets hope it works.

HOOKS/NEEDLES, cause you need one or the other to start:

What are you're experiences with the curse?
Do you believe the curse?
Do you knit sweaters?
And because I feel like it, what is you're favorite flavor of ice cream?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:28 pm
If you're playing the odds, chances are good the curse will come true. How many people can you date in your lifetime? How many people are you likely to marry and/or live with in a comitted relationship? It's simple probability.  

Zahra Ovaci

Silvander

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:34 pm
I have knitted for my boyfriend, no it was not a sweater, and no we have not broken up. I don't believe in a sweater curse. Honestly, it just takes a long time to do some of these projects, like sweaters, and many people don't sustain long relationships any more. If you average 8 month relationships and it takes you 5 months to make a sweater (it would me), then .. well.. you're screwed.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:59 pm
i've never made my hubby a sweater, nor did i really knit for him before. all i have made for him is a hat and a scarf.

i dont think the curse is true, but if you believe it, it could happen.

and my fav ice cream is mint chip...mmmm.  

Fionamule

Story From The Stars

2,950 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:52 pm
Well, I was making a blanket for my ex, and well, he's my ex now, isn't he? So I guess you could say I've been hit by the curse. I don't necessarily believe in curses though, but in general I'm not planning on testing my luck on that one anytime soon.
I don't knit sweaters, though I'm hoping to make one as soon as I can get some nice non-acrylic yarn.

And my favorite ice cream? That's easy! It's Ben & Jerry's Cookies and Cream, or Half-Baked. If you give me either i will love you forever.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:50 pm
I think the curse is just a symptom of a bad relationship when it happens.

I mean if you're knitting a sweater you're putting alot of time and effort into something for someone else. You want it to be well recieved, worn and loved. If your relationship is good you'll probably talk about what he wants the sweater to be; and make it for him accpording to his wishes and he'll like it, wear it and life is good.

If you are having an ok to bad relationship you'll probably end up making the sweater unconsciously according to your wants not his, he won;t like it, you'll get into a fight and things do downhill. Which is bad.

Bottom line? If you're doing good and you talk about it it's probably a-ok.

And if you want to break up with him, here's a pattern for a "curse your boyfriend" sweater with intarsia runes guaranteed to chase him off wink

http://www.theanticraft.com/archive/samhain05/curseyourbf.htm

Me? I love to knit sweaters though most of them are for me smile so I have to live with my mistakes.

Ice cream? mint chocolate chip!  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:07 pm
Gemi posted a thread, a long ways back, HOCRAP!

This is what i said:

Quote:
Personally, i say the only thing the curse curses is hand-knit objects that the knitter didn't think through well enough. When knitting for anyone, the first thought should be "will they like it?" Then you should go to the "is it comfy?" and then "is it in their colors?" and then "will they appreiciate the work i put in it?"

Will they like it - Have you ever seen them wearing a sweater or scarf or gloves or whatever your planning on making them? If not, have you seen them wanting to buy one/a pair? Have they talked about wanting one? Some people just don't like wearing sweaters (my girlfriend), aren't big on scarves unless its freezing (once more, my girlfriend), dislike gloves unless ifs freezing (Once more, you guessed it, my girlfriend) or are extremely picky with what styles they do like (And yeah, thats my girlfriend). When knitting for them you have to make sure that its planned perfectly.

Is it comfy - Make sure they aren't allergic to the fibers your making it out of. Make sure it fits the way they like it. Make sure the yarn feels good. This one is fairly important, but really its not often over looked. Most knitters will pick up a yarn and say "ooooo.... this one feels good."

Is it in their colors - Make sure if they wear mostly black, you make them whatever your making them in black. If they wear lots of colors, make sure you make them something to match something they have. "And i thought the green would go lovely with your coat" is always a good idea. Let them know what you knitted it to go with, and they'll appreciate that you thought about the color and what they wear. Also, it gives them a "Ah! This scarf goes with my coat!" and they just might wear it every time they wear their coat.

Will they appriciate the work i put into it - If you've considered everything else, then this shouldn't be a problem. But if your loved on sees that hat as something that took an hour, and it took you three weeks (because you had to learn to increase, or you knit slow, or whatever) they may not shower you with the applause your looking for. Of coarse, if its a hat made with nice yarn in colors they love and they wear hats in that style, then they should love it, no matter how long it took you to make it.

Of coarse, if you answered no to any of these, my advice: Don't make it. Change yarns, change patterns, buy them something. The only thing that will come out of making something for somebody that isn't their color, isn't comfortable, and they generally don't like is a really bad day. You never want to hand somebody their present and have them not like it.

Not saying i'm an expert or anything, but i can tell you one thing: I only have one thing i'd make for my love, and thats cookies. I know she doesn't wear most knit items, much less anything i could knit easily. I might make her a hat with kitty ears or a pair of fingerless gloves, but only after she surprised me with a trip to... somewhere really cold.

That being said, i'm pretty sure i'm going to be making my girlfriend some gloves for her birthday (in august) this year, because we were looking though patterns and she said "I like those, but i'd wear them is they didn't have the ruffle." and we talked about it some and so i have a very clear idea of what she'd like. Plus, i haven't been working with yarn enough for my tastes recently.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:07 pm
I can't knit a sweater (yet!) but I'm not brave enough to learn to make one for my fiance yet. Maybe after we're married.

And my favorite ice cream is a toss up between chocolate and neapolitan. Yummy! ^_^  

Brunette_Star

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff