Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sims Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for all things Sims created by Maxis/EA. 

Tags: simulation, god games, story telling, custom, Sims 

Reply The Sims Guild
*Sob*

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Osaka In Wonderland

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:03 am
Okay, I try to load sims 2 and this message comes up:

"The application or DLL C:WINDOWSsystem32dsound.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

What on Earth is going on? I've tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it, but it still won't work! Any adivce?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:32 am
Is this a new disc? if it is then try exchanging it... if its not..... then i dont think i can help.  

Kitties_at_the_disco

athena08905

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:26 pm
I could be totally off...but I'm thinking it has something to do with either:
a.) your sound
b.) your available computer space
c.) if it even is made to work on the computer you have or...
d.) it is stupid...
I say...call the number for EA or Maxis or maybe even the place you bought it...they are usually pretty nice when you don't understand things  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:16 pm
Check the CD for scratches, that might be the problem right there. Its saying that "the diskette" is the source of the problem. If iits really scratched up, try some windex or some toothpaste. If that doesnt relieve the scratches, then prepare to save up to a new disk or give the maxis/ea games support line a ring. Either way, back up your downloads and sims folders incase you need a new disk.  

WindhoesXP

Osaka In Wonderland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:21 am
Okay, so none fo the discks are entirely new, I've had the original game since Christmas, and my 2 expansion packs were previously owned by my friends who have got the latest ones. It worked on my computer fine before, I deleted a load of programns I don't use anymore (Not vital things, stuff like video games, screensavers ect).

Strange thing is, when sims 2 killed itself, so did a load of other programs came up with the same message when I tried to use them. Although most of them work now, Sims 2 still won't work. I'll try your advice anyway.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:18 am
Are you sure you didn't accidentally remove something vital? The error message says the problem is located in your WINDOWS directory. Not the game directory. When it says "installation diskette" I think it means the disk you can install the operating system from (eg windows 98 ) not the game disk.  

Menaceman

Tricky Hoarder

11,450 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Rebuilder 100

Osaka In Wonderland

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:21 am
Menaceman
Are you sure you didn't accidentally remove something vital? The error message says the problem is located in your WINDOWS directory. Not the game directory. When it says "installation diskette" I think it means the disk you can install the operating system from (eg windows 98 ) not the game disk.
That could be! Thanks, that may be the answer! *Goes to look for some computer setup disk I saw a while ago)  
The Sims Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games