Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
Gaia too? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Imaginary Tears

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:31 pm
That's horrid. >___> I hate n00by puns.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:52 am
SilverBellsAbove
All the gods from every religion in the world must get together for some kind of poker night. This is probably one of the horrors Thoth and Athena make smalltalk about. sweatdrop

Lets get pagan here and blame Loki for it, he is the word-smith and I think he would think it amusing to annoy Anubis as much as he could get away with. twisted  

TheMoonDragon

Chase Keyhole

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:40 am
Wow. That's pretty bad.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:03 am
Sephiroths_Blood12
Pyramid the items at the Faktori for an Egyptian surprise! Only Anubis too poor to afford these great new items... our prices are quite pharaoh. You'll never get a Ra deal at the Faktori! You'll never walk out saying "hey... Egypt me!" Once you Ramses new items into your home, you won't believe your Isis! These items are just too Luxorious to be real! Take good Cairo these artifacts, because they're priceless antiques!

Oh man, that was painful. Just go to the Faktori and check out the goods.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I demand these sentences be taken outside and shot.

Repeatedly.

I totally agree with you. I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to say.  

WhatCassieDid

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:25 pm
SatineandChristianforever
Sephiroths_Blood12
Pyramid the items at the Faktori for an Egyptian surprise! Only Anubis too poor to afford these great new items... our prices are quite pharaoh. You'll never get a Ra deal at the Faktori! You'll never walk out saying "hey... Egypt me!" Once you Ramses new items into your home, you won't believe your Isis! These items are just too Luxorious to be real! Take good Cairo these artifacts, because they're priceless antiques!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Repeatedly.

I totally agree with you. I couldn't even tell what it was supposed to say.

See page 2, around the middle.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:05 pm
Sephiroths_Blood12

Repeatedly.

Agreed in full. It was the absolute worst set of puns I'd ever read. Blech.  

Shade Skypage

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:39 am
You haven't read my posts properly. I don't consider puns to ruin English; far from it. I think the said puns ruined the thought of advanced Egyptian culture.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:02 pm
abarrach
My attempt at deciphering the text.
Quote:
Pyramid Peer amid the items at the Faktori for an Egyptian surprise! Only Anubis a n00b is too poor to afford these great new items... our prices are quite pharaoh far out. You'll never get a Ra raw deal at the Faktori! You'll never walk out saying "hey... Egypt he gypped me!" Once you Ramses ram these new items into your home, you won't believe your Isis eyes! These items are just too Luxorious luxurious to be real! Take good Cairo care of these artifacts, because they're priceless antiques!

What do you think?

Edit : changed "rat deal" to "raw deal". Thanks chiyojo!

I thought it was "Our prices are quite fair, though" rather than "far out." It makes a bit more sense that way.  

MyOwnBestCritic

Dapper Dabbler

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:40 pm
MyOwnBestCritic
abarrach
Quote:
Pyramid Peer amid the items at the Faktori for an Egyptian surprise! Only Anubis a n00b is too poor to afford these great new items... our prices are quite pharaoh far out. You'll never get a Ra raw deal at the Faktori! You'll never walk out saying "hey... Egypt he gypped me!" Once you Ramses ram these new items into your home, you won't believe your Isis eyes! These items are just too Luxorious luxurious to be real! Take good Cairo care of these artifacts, because they're priceless antiques!

What do you think?

I thought it was "Our prices are quite fair, though" rather than "far out." It makes a bit more sense that way.

Yes, that could be. However, neither "fair" nor "far" fit the pronunciation of "pharaoh" that I'm accustomed to. But, I do agree that your translation works better, so I'll change it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:28 pm
abarrach
MyOwnBestCritic
abarrach
Quote:

What do you think?

Yes, that could be. However, neither "fair" nor "far" fit the pronunciation of "pharaoh" that I'm accustomed to. But, I do agree that your translation works better, so I'll change it.

You've perked my curiosity. How exactly do you pronounce pharaoh?  

Subservient Nonentity

abarrach

7,950 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:57 pm
subservient_x_nonentity
abarrach
MyOwnBestCritic
abarrach
Quote:

What do you think?

You've perked my curiosity. How exactly do you pronounce pharaoh?

Umm... how can I put this? My pronunciation of "pharaoh" is about half-way between "fair" and "far". It's more like "fact". In IPA notation, it would more like [faɹo], whereas "fair" is like [feɹ], and "far" is like [fɑɹ].  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:00 am
I think it's a joke...I mean, it's like, FOB English...come on, let them have a break.

After all, all the descriptions are like that...Think about the squid clothing...>_>;; Though that's more perverted than anything...  

Dreaming in the Theatre

Sharifah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:32 pm
This get's me pretty mad, half my friends are Egyptian, and insulting people and their culture just is not right.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:08 pm
I remember having to read this several times to understand it when I first saw it in the announcements. Even then, I couldn't figure everything out (but I understand it all now, thanks to the translation on page 2). I dunno....I think the puns are kinda corny, and is too much of a hassle to read.
They're sort of pathetic-sounding, because they're so corny. D:

Praxling

Gaian Grammar Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas