Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
I Want To Learn How To Crochet & Knit, But ...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

^_^
  gold
View Results

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:58 pm
The only people that I know who know how to crochet or know how to knit live really far away from me. crying I've tried learning how to crochet from an instructional booklet, but it didn't work ... There knitting classes for senior citizens in my county ... I wonder if I should just put on a gray wig, some makeup, and a cane and just go take one of those classes (joking, but seriously, I want to learn and there's no one to teach me!) *weeps* crying I don't know what to do or if there's even anything I can do. sad I think I must be one of those people who needs to be shown rather than told how to do it ... wait a minute ... there is someone I know who (crochets?) but she can barely speak a word of English. Maybe if I can just see it though, if I can see it in someone's hands, even if they can't tell me what to do, do you think it would work?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:46 am
I'd call up the organization holding the classes for seniors and ask if you could join even if you're a bit too young. If that doesn't work, there are tutorial sites on the web with videos although I can't remember where they are right now.) I should have been in bed at least an hour ago.) I learned to purl from one of those sites though. I had been through the directions in the book over and over and couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. I checked out a video of someone making a purl stitch and was able to do it with a little practice.
I've had to teach myself most of the crafts I do because even though quite a few members of my family craft, their schedules conflicted with mine when I was learning the craft. I learned how to sew in school though.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:05 am
Thank you! Excellent idea! I never thought of that, to look for videos on the internet! Even if I'm not accepted into the classes for senior citizens (I'm 26, so ... but maybe they won't object), then I might be able to learn via watching video demonstrations! Someway, somehow I want to learn to ... wait a minute ... which is easier? Knitting or crocheting? I should start with whatever's easiest. On the other hand, I'd like to make an afghan (someday) and I think I remember hearing that those are crocheted. ... But I do want to learn both eventually! heart heart heart  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:15 am
Most people tend to think crocheting easier because instead of dozens; if not hundreds of stitches on the needles at once you only have one or two.

I do both and after you learn I think both are pretty easy: it depends on what you want to make. Knitting is more flexible; crocheting is stiff. Crochet makes lovely toys, afghans, hats, scupltural pieces, decoration but you have to be really careful if you want to make things like sweaters because it can be too stiff and bulky. Knitters make everything under the sun, but it does best with things like hats, scarves, socks, sweaters and other things that benefit from the innate stretch of most knitting.

Also try going to a local yarn store; if they don't have anyone there willing to teach (many do, and many have a congregation of retired knitters knitting away in a cosy corner) ask if there is a local knitting group: a guild or a stitch n b***h or whatever. If you can track one of those down you'll find lots of willing teachers.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:58 am
Thank you for the advice! biggrin Those are excellent ideas too! biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:54 am
check for classes at your local michaels  

fashionista468

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:02 am
Thanks! ^_^  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:13 pm
Did anyone ever find those instructional video sights? A friend of mine recently tried to teach me to crochet, but I couldn't get past the double stitich. She says that I screwed myself by learning knitting first (I hold my needle like a knitter and can't make my hands do it correctly), and the patterns just confuse the hell out of me. I learned to knit with Stitch & b***h, so I thought I could learn crochet from The Happy Hooker, but... appearently I suck more then I had anticipated.  

takocos

Dapper Genius

4,275 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:32 pm
I found knitting videos at http://www.knittinghelp.com and crochet videos at http://www.nexstitch.com
There was a "learn to crochet" thread in here somewhere, it's probably just fallen off of the first page.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:31 pm
Thank you so much for the links! ^_^ Between all of these different means of learning, one way or another, I'm sure I'll be able to learn how to crochet and to knit. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Kumiko21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:07 pm
I would say take the classes with the seniors. I bet they would love to have someone young with them plus old people can be pretty cool. It would be a generational experience!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:51 pm
Kumiko21
I would say take the classes with the seniors. I bet they would love to have someone young with them plus old people can be pretty cool. It would be a generational experience!

That thought occured to me too! I bet it would be fun ^_^, and it would be really enriching to achieve a better understanding of older generations. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Brunette_Star

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:38 am
I'd say call them and ask if you can take the senior's class anyway! Hanging out with senior citizens is cool! (I'm a firm believer in "Always be kind to old people - Lord willing, you'll be their age one day!")

There are some DVDs out there called "Teach Yourself Visually To Crochet/Knit" (or something along those lines... sweatdrop ) if for some odd reason they say you're too young for the senior's class.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games