Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Cosplay Project: Empress Shuurei From Saiunkoku Monogatari

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

^_^
  gold
View Results

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:01 am
I'm making a costume (or two) to wear to this year's Anime Expo here in southern California. (The convention is during the first couple days of July, so I have 3 and a half months to make this.) I'm going to post some pictures of the process I'm using to make it. I could also really use some encouragement and accountability (i.e. "what is your goal for this week?") regarding the project as I go along. I probably won't be able to post any pictures for a week or two other than what the finished product is supposed to look like.

Please post any feedback, encouragement, suggestions, etc. that you might have regarding this project. ^_^

User Image

User Image

User ImageUser Image

User Image

User Image

She carries this (the above) bun box with her a lot in the first episode ... I can't find anything that looks like this. I went to China Town, I've looked in all kinds of stores ... A family friend is good with tools and woodworking, so he might be able to help me make this - I'll have to ask him and see if he has the time. I'm going to try to look more online - I should be able to find something that looks at least somewhat like this. If not, I probably won't make the box. I wanted to use it as a purse/lunch box at the convention, though. ... There must be a place I can find something like it or a way to make it ...  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:41 am
Week 1:

I started this costume last year ... But stopped when I didn't finish it in time for last year's convention. crying I already have all of the materials I need with the possible exception of some additional interfacing.

Goals:

Finish red jumper/overskirt.

Hem the piece of cream colored fabric that I'm going to use as the shawl.

In Case I Reach Those Goals Early:

Hem/sew the orange obi-like thing that goes around her waste.

Continue work on my alteration of the sewing patterns for various parts of the costume.

Sew the other part of the costume: the white underdress, the bodice/shirt.

Make the crown.

Make the necklace.

Make the box.  

flightoftheunicorn

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:10 am
Wow; what a lovely project. I absolutely love costumes; my best advice is to keep on doing what you're doing: setting goals and keeping them on schedule.

Good luck!!  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:54 am
YourAzureGoddess
Wow; what a lovely project. I absolutely love costumes; my best advice is to keep on doing what you're doing: setting goals and keeping them on schedule.

Good luck!!

Thanks! ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Pwzn

Magnetic Grabber

10,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:14 pm
Hmm... I think the box is like a japanese layered lacquered bento box, it would be rather expensive... sad Like this with a handle smile
Anyway I would like to see pictures of your progress! I love this show very much.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:25 pm
peixunpey
Hmm... I think the box is like a japanese layered lacquered bento box, it would be rather expensive... sad Like this with a handle smile
Anyway I would like to see pictures of your progress! I love this show very much.

*takes a moment to breathe* Oh my gosh .... You watch it too? Most of the people I know have never heard of it! (That's probably because most of the people I know don't download their anime from the net - they watch it on American TV or on DVD.) Oh gosh! whee whee whee Yay!

I love this show! The characters, the plot, the costumes, the music, the romance ... ^_^ and it's full to the brim of bishie men heart heart

Thank you so much for your comment and for telling me that you watch the show too! I am greatly encouraged by that! Even though there might not be too many people at the convention who will know what character I'm dressed as, a few might, but more importantly: I'll love the costume I'm wearing (lovely colors and design by whoever first drew it - I'm impressed!) ^_^

Thank you for the picture of the bento box! I'm sure that I'll find something or find a way to make it. ^_^

Also, last but not least, I will definitely post pictures of the process as I'm making the costume. It's fun to see a work in progress and the finished result. ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Pwzn

Magnetic Grabber

10,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:29 pm
I download most of my anime from the net, lol. But it's very rare for people to watch this show, even though it's very good. The costume is actually based on traditional chinese clothes of some old period that I can't remember.
Anyway, I really love the male costumes too. And yes, they are all bishies! :0

I seldom see people cosplaying this character, so it'd be really nice if you were doing it. biggrin  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:04 pm
^_^ bishies!!! whee heart whee

I am so grateful that I found this series. smile It's rich with many elements that make it thoroughly enjoyable. ^_^

Yes, I too like the male costumes - they're well-drawn too! ^_^  

flightoftheunicorn

Lee Kushrenada

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:13 am
that's really cool!
I'm going to a con in about 20 days... so I still have a lot of running around crafting this and that to make my cosplays. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:39 am
Lee Kushrenada
that's really cool!
I'm going to a con in about 20 days... so I still have a lot of running around crafting this and that to make my cosplays. sweatdrop

Wow! That's cool! Good luck with your costume-making process!  

flightoftheunicorn

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:31 am
Good luck to you!

You say you have a friend good with woodworking? I'd definatly ask him is he'd be willing to help. Those boxes are super expensive, though i wouldn't think it'd be too hard to make one. You just need stacking boxes, with a handle that connects to all of them some how.
Check EBay for variouse search terms, you might try 'stacked bento' and 'japansese picnic basket' and 'bun box'.... anything else that you might think would pop it up.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:50 am
Thank you! Those are great ideas! biggrin  

flightoftheunicorn

ecart

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:19 am
peixunpey

What a great site for Teaware! thank you for posting this.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:40 am
User Image

That is going to be so beautiful when its done! Amazing.. You can just take a picture and turn it into reality. ( I look at things like that and sigh, cause T tunick is about my patience leval. )

Great Idea about setting goals for getting it done!  

ecart

flightoftheunicorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:13 am
hmsgodess

That is going to be so beautiful when its done! Amazing.. You can just take a picture and turn it into reality. ( I look at things like that and sigh, cause T tunick is about my patience leval. )

Great Idea about setting goals for getting it done!

Thanks! Yeah, this is going to be a tough one! I found a pattern that would work well for the skirt, however, for the rest of the outfit, I'm going to be using pieces from several different patterns! This should be ... interesting ... I've never done that before! I hope it goes well! eek  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games