Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Grammar Guild

Back to Guilds

The Gaian Grammar Guild is a refuge for the literate, a place for them to post and read posts without worrying about the nonsensical ones. 

Tags: grammar, literate, english, language 

Reply Gaian Grammar Guild
TV affects how we talk?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 3:25 pm
For anyone who has ever whatched the shoe Rugrats on Nickolodeon you may hear the characters talk in a way that portrays infants.
The other day I was talking to my sisters and the spoke like the characters in the show like it's perfectly normal. So I ask again, does TV affect the way we speak?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 4:48 pm
I would say that it definitely does. For the most part it creates all kinds of catch phrases and the like, as well as distinctive characters to imitate, all of which can slip their way into becoming part of our normal speech.  

aeolous

Patron with a Mission

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 7:06 pm
I believe television and other types of media affect the way we speak. People like what they see, and they will imitate what they hear.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:38 am
People normally imitate what they see or hear. I myself learned English through television [[Of course I changed. I still can make imitations of characters, though. ]] . But, some people can change they way they speak by learning the language.  

Fintastic

d-a-r-k-s-h-y

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:33 am
I know what you all mean, but sister's think it's perfectly normal. Especially with the word "like" after every other word.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:04 pm
It depends on how impressionable the person is. Like you demonstrated, your sister repeats what the Rugrats say. You have to look at her age though. She'll, hopefully, grow out of it. As for TV affecting me, no. But again, I stand by "how impressionable the person is."  

omiyashi0

Radio Chaos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:20 pm
Yes it does. And it's sickening because people feel like they HAVE to be just like the TV charcaters. And I could name a ton of TV show characters that speak incorrectly, which influences people, thus, we are left with a illiterate world.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:58 am
I'd say it does. I find myself going "Woo-hoo!" and "D'oh!" ala Homer Simpson, "Somebody please shoot me" ala Al Bundy and "Oro" ala Himura Kenshin.

I've read online how parents complain that supposedly educational children's TV shows like Teletubbies, Boobah and Caillou actually have a negative impact on their young children's speech. The young children mimic the baby talk of the Teletubbies and Boobah, and the tantrum throwing whininess of Caillou.
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Ame Yuki Kaze

Clean Seeker

4,100 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Signature Look 250

MadnessFreak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:20 am
I find it quite stupid ad immature to imatate something you could not possibly be.
It's like those kids at school who always try to show off and act cool, I personally would punch anyone in the crotch stupid enough to imitate, say, a cartoon ninja or Samurai.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:59 am
You bet it does. And not just kids either: adults too! Know American Idol? All those weird reality shows and soaps?

Well, I bet you a buck that you can find at least one grammar error in each, intentional or otherwise. And people hear this and think 'It's on TV and said it, it must be correct!'

Argh. I admit, like Yami no Hitokiri, I 'oro' sometimes, but mostly because the anime's on my mind when I fall down the stairs/get hit by a can of baked beans/almost get bowled over by a snowplow. Yes, that stuff has happened to me, and in the past few weeks, too. I'm a klutz and an accident magnet, I swear. sweatdrop

But when anyone says 'young and impressionable', omit the 'young.' Now you have the human race. Tada.  

SilverBellsAbove

Gaian Grammar Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff