Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

poll
  whore
View Results

Ignorance Xx is xX Bliss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:56 pm
I can see how some fantasy books could be disrespected. I mean, some of them are a little off the wall, and some people may not understand how a "normal" person could like them. I also agree with the statement that it really depends on the area you are in, or the personalities of those surrounding you.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:54 pm
School never once assigned me a fantasy book, but when I chose them for independant reading assignments I didn't ever have a teacher give me a problem. My peers would think I was weird because I liked to read excessively; it had naught to do with the genre I was reading. I have to say that certain people look down upon certain genres, our beloved fantasy is not disrespected anymore than others are. For example, I generally despise romance and one of my acquaintances adores romance and dislikes fantasy.  

MinervaEvenstar

eda bell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:46 am
Proper fantasy is so good, like Trudi Canavn and Eoin Colfer, I can't understand why people think it's about *the pwetty faeris and unicorns*
I think that if more people where shown the really good modern works it might cange thier mindsAND STOP THEM READING CLIQUE BOOKS!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:50 am
Oh GOSH YES!!! Those Clique books are so stupid looking, but at least they're modern... I'm not saying I don't like romance novels, because I do, but I like them with a bit of action and fantasy in there! I don't know but I like genras mixed in genras mostly!!!!

Some people, though, don't read any fantasy (Harry Potter for example) because they're so Christian that they think their world will be corrupted by witchcraft! I don't mean any disrespect, for I'm a Christian myself, but some people need to GET A GRIP!!! It's not like we're going off to ride on our broomstick or fight of a dragon or something... it's just beyond the laws of physics and people should know this by now.  

violeteyes77

pkmn1995

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:18 am
violeteyes77
Oh GOSH YES!!! Those Clique books are so stupid looking, but at least they're modern... I'm not saying I don't like romance novels, because I do, but I like them with a bit of action and fantasy in there! I don't know but I like genras mixed in genras mostly!!!!

Some people, though, don't read any fantasy (Harry Potter for example) because they're so Christian that they think their world will be corrupted by witchcraft! I don't mean any disrespect, for I'm a Christian myself, but some people need to GET A GRIP!!! It's not like we're going off to ride on our broomstick or fight of a dragon or something... it's just beyond the laws of physics and people should know this by now.

finally someone who understands!!! my friends always ask me why don't i like those overly romance novels...the answer is because they are just so nice and there's no fighting and war and stuff. i really like wars and adventures, i don't know why exactly but i do.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:06 pm
portofships
My friends and I all go to book club at our school. I really like it, because I enjoy discussing books with other people who are as widely read as I am. There is only one problem. The teacher who runs book club flat out REFUSES to read a fantasy book. She is so...not flexible, even contemporary fiction, but not necessarily fantasy, gets shot down. Today were were deciding on our next book, and we fought hard to get a book we wanted, with little success. She and the grade 11 members of book club kept shooting down our ideas. When they suggested books such as "True Believer" "Shopaholic and Baby" and "Marie Antoinette" my friend said that she didn't like the type of books they were suggesting and found it hard to read them. The teacher replied with "Oh, that's right, you like to read books about DRAGONS! and SORCERERS!" and then she slapped the table and laughed at her, as if it was the funniest thing in the world, the grade 11s and librarian also laughing. My friend got uncomfortable and slightly embarassed. That...JERK made her feel nerdy and stupid, just because she would rather read a fantasy epic than a gushy, soap-operaish romance or a girly fluff book. My friend and I are thinking of starting a Fantasy/Sci-Fi club, because we are sick of getting excluded and ridiculed in the current one.

So, I ask you this, is fantasy less respected than other genres? Is fantasy looked upon as nerdy and lame, and are people who liked it looked upon as nerdy and lame?

Fantasy books get no respect...

Though I'm faring better than you in terms of book clubs...

Being one of the founding members and having a diverse set of intrests, I make sure that, every month, when we select the three to five books, that, for every ten books we read, we have a distribution of roughly:
2 historical fiction (like The Book Thief)
3 fantasy/sci-fi (Dragonriders of Pern month was a hit, though it destroyed the ratio)
3 "adult fiction" (Moo!)
1 non-fiction (always difficult to find a good one...)
1 piece of literature  

GuardianDragonsSpirit

Espeonies132

Friendly Regular

5,700 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Flatterer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:03 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Hmm, that is a bit, harsh. Because I don't think that fantasy books are bad. In fact, I adore them. I would totally slap the teacher if I were there. I really hate her humiliating students over a genre. And we all know that there are still people who doesn't like fictions or fantasies books but I think that we shouldn't care about them. I don't like my sister's choices of books too because all she likes were Thrillers and Non-Fiction Romance books. I don't really like it but I don't have a choice. . .

Anyways, Fantasy genres are not bad at all! And I would love to go to where you are at and slap the teacher and go back to where I am. That's all and have a pleasant day.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:55 pm
I don't know, because fantasy books don't get much negative light at my school. We even have a fantasy book club.  

happyhamster24

Faerie Dust Dreaming

Beloved Explorer

6,100 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Guildmember 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:34 pm
I don't have much experience with book bias, myself. But then again, I don't get out much. But I see nothing at all wrong with fantasy; it's my favorit genre. Ever. So people say it's 'escapist' or 'not preparing readers for life'. That's garbage.
If a fantasy book is written well, it's not JUST about a kid with a magic sword fighting an evil sorceror. Fantasy books work in metaphor, teaching readers about conquering your fears, never giving up, staying loyal to your friends, fighting the good fight, and other equally good lessons. They do this, but they don't ram it down your throat, or throw it away as fluff.
In my limited experience, 'realistic' type books tend to be more cynical, telling harsh truths about the world, and pushing you to accept it. Romance novels (by which I mean the trash, not Jane Austen- type material) are driven by hormonal bubbleheads who just want sex. Fantasy, for me, is for the dreamers. We are the idealists, who try to see the world in a differnt light; magic lurks behind every corner, dreams can come true, it will get better. You learn life lessons when you read Harry Potter, or LotR, that you don't get reading Twilight, or penny dreadful romance novels. So I really wish people would stop kncking it; Fantasy books made me who I am.  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff